PDA

View Full Version : New Router Station w/ BONUS TOOL GLOAT

Jason Strauss
06-14-2010, 9:34 PM
I’ve been planning my build of a router station for months. This is the result. It’s patterned after Norm’s, but I didn’t purchase the plans – just watched the show a few times and then designed my own. I saved lot of dough using other project left-overs: the carcass is pre-finished maple plywood from a cabinet job, and all the oak (top edge, side panels, and detail work) were scraps I had laying around. I got the walnut pressure sensitive veneer for free and I’ve got an abundance of free walnut posts from a barn teardown. I pirated the switch off the Wolfcraft router station that I’ve had for a few years. The finish is shellac – 3 coats, sanded w/ 220 in between.

Between the top laminate, one sheet each of ¾” and ½” MDF, casters, plexi glass, t-track and hardware, I figure I’ve got about $140 into the station itself. I picked up the PC 7518 router from Woodcraft (came with a $50 gift card) , and…wait for it…

FIRST TOOL GLOAT – the Mater-R-Lift Small Plate Router Lift was $75! Those things retail for well over $300! I got mine from my local Woodcraft owner – he was getting something new. It works great and the plate only shows some minor wear and tear.

Only thing left to do is rig up the dust collection! Not to sure I like the caster configuration as it seems a little wobbly. I may try to figure something else out as it has to be mobile for my garage shop.

Van Huskey
06-14-2010, 9:44 PM
Very nice!

Regarding the router lift:

YOU SUCK!

Aaron Wingert
06-14-2010, 9:48 PM
Jason that is really nice, and yes, you do suck. I like the figured drawer fronts!

Dave MacArthur
06-15-2010, 2:14 AM
That's an amazing piece of work for a router table, I showed it to my wife and told her that was going to be our new TV console, she said it looked too upscale to match our hunting lodge decor... You gotta love a woman who thinks about what will match a nice 8 pt buck in a left leaning sneak...

Jason Strauss
06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys. It's gratifying to know that I, in fact, do suck!

...and Dave, all you need to do now is get her to allow your next shoulder mount to be placed above your bed! For some reason, my wife won't allow my trophies in the master bedroom.