PDA

View Full Version : aligning wings with TS table

Michael Handrinos
06-14-2010, 8:47 PM
Hey guys,

I'm doing a tune up of my table saw and need to shim both sides a bit to make them level with the main table. Do I need to remove the extention table on the right first or can I surpass that and still do a good job.

Thanks

Mike

glenn bradley
06-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Hmmm, I think I know what you're asking. I generally remove the fence, fence rails, etc. and get down to just the saw body/top and the wings when I am setting up. This is also a good time to confirm or adjust for alignment at 90* and 45* bevel in relation to the miter slot and all that.

Once the foundation is correct, remount the fence rails and align the fence to the same slot. Trying to deal with cast iron extension wings alone is awkward enough. The removal of an extension table (on the right and made of wood I assume) is trivial compared to the safer work conditions . . . if I understood correctly. I could be confused in which case none of this made sense ;-)

If I am on base here's a tip that helped me; use a pair of roller stands to hold the wing in the general position while you are shimming. This frees you from having to hold the wing, do the shimming, handle the straight edge and wrenches all at once.

Steve Bracken
06-14-2010, 10:07 PM
What Rick said :)

It only takes a few minutes to remove the rails, and you will make the rest of the job quicker, easier and probably more accurate.