PDA

View Full Version : Old bandsaw Question.

keith micinski
06-14-2010, 6:03 PM
I have found this bandsaw and wondered what you guys thought about it. I know a lot about tools and mechanics but a bandsaw is my least knowledgeable tools out there. It looks like it could be promising but I am not sure. The owner also says that it is geared for cutting metal and not wood. I would assume this could be changed with different pulleys. He says it has a 1/2 hp motor with a gear box attached to it and the motor says that it is a 1750 rpm motor. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/1791275675.html

John McClanahan
06-14-2010, 7:04 PM
Just how is it "geared"? If its a belt and pulleys, not a big problem to change. It will need to run quite a bit faster for wood cutting. Then it will be underpowered with the 1/2 hp motor. probably at least a 1 hp motor will be needed. For $250 you could find a 14" saw ready for wood cutting.

John

keith micinski
06-14-2010, 7:22 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking to. The guy said it had a gear box on it he thought. I think I am going to hold out for a 14 incher on Craigs list. I just really want to get this one piece of wood resawn so I can book match it for a table top and am getting a little antsy.

Thomas love
06-14-2010, 7:48 PM
steer clear