PDA

View Full Version : Jet mini lathe motor question

Alan Tolchinsky
06-14-2010, 4:23 PM
I've had this lathe for a few years now and noticed the motor getting very hot just doing some pens. It was too hot to touch. Is this normal? I'm not putting much strain on the motor but it is working fine with no abnormal noises. What do you think? Thanks Alan

Frank Van Atta
06-14-2010, 4:44 PM
I've had this lathe for a few years now and noticed the motor getting very hot just doing some pens. It was too hot to touch. Is this normal? I'm not putting much strain on the motor but it is working fine with no abnormal noises. What do you think? Thanks Alan

I have a Jet 1014 and the motor gets very hot. It's been doing that for 10 years and 1600 turnings more or less, so I guess it doesn't hurt anything.

Mark Burge
06-14-2010, 6:21 PM
My Jet mini motor also gets very hot. I've been worried that I'm burying it in too many shavings and might start a fire.

Michelle Rich
06-15-2010, 6:52 AM
I have seen this question on forums before...it seems that many owners experience this..( I have the same model and it does not get hot) I think I remember that many have called Jet and they tell them it's normal..but why not call Jet & ask?

Alan Tolchinsky
06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
O.K. now I'm not really sure if it's normal thanks to Michelle. :) But I'm guessing it is and will keep cleaning up around the motor after every session. Thanks guys.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I guess that question depends on what your definition of "hot" is. To me, the motor does not get hot, but it is too hot to comfortably leave yuor hand on it. All of my TEFC machines get too hot to touch. Hot enough to start a fire, not even close..... I don't worry about it. I've had my mini motor almost completely buried in shavings.

Karl Card
06-16-2010, 10:37 PM
I also have the jet 1014I and it does get hot... I keep the shavings away and also use my a/c to blow out any dust too.. Mine has done that from day one so I never thought anything of it... it doesnt make any weird noises so I will run it till it dies...lol

I have a newer rikon that gets warm but doenst seem to get as hot as the jet....