PDA

View Full Version : So much for that

Joe Shinall
06-14-2010, 3:55 PM
My wife and I turned our first bowl last week. I will post pictures when I finish the poly. Simple red gum bowl, not great, kinda rough. Still trying to figure this stuff out.

So I started turning a nice Black Locust blank. Got the outside done in about 10 minutes. Finally getting into the groove of things. Flipped it and got the inside hollowed. Man it looks great. Started trying to clean up the tear out some using Bill Grumbine's sheer scrape and successfully broke the bowl. Good thing I have about 25 more blanks!

Tim Rinehart
06-14-2010, 4:00 PM
Remember, it is just a piece of wood.
I hate it when that happens, and if you didn't get hurt...all is well. Sorry to hear about it anyway...always gets to me, even with 'non-special' wood.
Something learned I hope, and if not, describe more of what you were doing when it happened, some of us may be able to point something that you could have done differently.
That being said..."chips happen".

Mike Minto
06-14-2010, 4:03 PM
keep in mind, too, that david ellsworth says the process is always more important than the bowl (it is :confused:?)

John Keeton
06-14-2010, 4:25 PM
Joe, congratulations on the bowl completed, and condolences on the one that got away!! Most likely, the event occurred on the rim - usually does, anyway.

Looking forward to the pics of the gum bowl.

Joe Shinall
06-14-2010, 4:42 PM
Joe, congratulations on the bowl completed, and condolences on the one that got away!! Most likely, the event occurred on the rim - usually does, anyway.

Looking forward to the pics of the gum bowl.

Why yes John! It was on the rim. I was cleaning it up and got a snag and it hung. Still trying to get the angles down and I also noticed afterward that the bevel on the gouge had a small U shape in the side. Probably hung on that. Still waiting for my Wolverine system to come in so I was just touching it up by hand on the grinder and I bet I did it wrong.

Nothing hurt and the blank cost me like 2 bucks so we're all good. Still had fun turning it til that happened. I have to admit though, I pretty much had that bowl shape down and was grooving through it. Not the first time I screwed up a project and won't be the last I'm sure :rolleyes:

David E Keller
06-14-2010, 4:51 PM
Welcome to the vortex! I generally do not go back to the rim after hollowing deeper. I tend to turn in stages, and I finish turn each stage before moving on to the next. Once you have the center out of the bowl, there's not much support near the rim so catches can be exciting.:eek: Looking forward to photos of the survivor.

Joe Shinall
06-14-2010, 4:53 PM
Welcome to the vortex! I generally do not go back to the rim after hollowing deeper. I tend to turn in stages, and I finish turn each stage before moving on to the next. Once you have the center out of the bowl, there's not much support near the rim so catches can be exciting.:eek: Looking forward to photos of the survivor.

Yeah David, now I have to agree with you :D

I was telling myself to stay away from it but I had one small area of tear out I missed before and said, "ahh one pass will be ok!"

David E Keller
06-14-2010, 4:55 PM
Been there, done that, got several of the shirts...

Joe Shinall
06-14-2010, 5:09 PM
Been there, done that, got several of the shirts...

One of my favorite quotes!