PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Blue (new box)

Kent Parker
06-14-2010, 3:02 PM
A close friend has been suggesting I make a coffin. This one is about big enough for a parrot, hence the name.

(Monty Python for those who have forgotten or never went there).

This one began as a mock up so I wasn't too concerned with the grain placement. I just happened to have a bunch of walnut.

Its an odd little box that even though I struggled with and was never satisfied with the dimensions, I went ahead with it just to make something and get a little finger exercise. This one is about 9" long.

A friend suggested it could be a perfect fit as a resting case of honor for a battery-operated gal’s best friend! I’m guessing that’s a wide-open market, as it were!!!

and for those that need a dose of Monty Python......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218)

Hope all are well and happy,

Cheers,

Kent

Jim Rimmer
06-14-2010, 3:26 PM
That would make a nice desk box. Just don't tell the recipient it started as a coffin for a parrot.

glenn bradley
06-14-2010, 4:00 PM
Lovely plumage. Great looking box Kent. Very "outside the box" design.

Zach England
06-14-2010, 8:03 PM
You want your wife to put the TV remote in it? huh?

Bruce Page
06-14-2010, 8:16 PM
Very interesting little box Kent. Is the top solid or hollowed out underneath? How does it attach or does it rest on the box?
I really like the look and it would be fun to build!

Kent Parker
06-14-2010, 9:17 PM
Bruce,

The top is constructed like the ends of the box, similar to how a barrel or a round mast would be made with individual staves.

The pieces are cut with a 22.5 degree bevel. After the bevel was cut on the narrow pieces, I used a 1" diameter round nose bit (just the very tip) to slightly hollow the inside facing surfaces of each individual beveled piece. No particular reason for this bit other than I had it. Once the pieces are glued together, the inside facing surface already is curved and takes minimal sanding. I could have also made the top with a single piece however, if you look closely you'll see a uniformity to the glue lines of all the staves. Its part of the design that shows better in person and would have been better had I chosen the wood carefully. (its a mock up so I didn't).

The ends of the top are made of multiple wedges, also cut with a 22.5 degree bevel and glued together. These are a bit tricky to cut given their size. I made a jig for my table saw sled that was pretty accurate.

After the ends are joined to the central piece, then the ends are shaped by hand to get the radius. The underside of the top has a cresent shaped cleat glued to it that rests in the radiused ends of the box. The lid just rests on the lower box but is captured by the tight fit of the cleats.

This thing is completely glued with either Super T or Special T cyanoacrylate. Finished with multiple coats of Daly's Ben Matte Danish tung oil.

Kent

Bruce Page
06-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the construction details Kent.

Roy Wall
06-14-2010, 10:28 PM
terrific little box!

Van Huskey
06-15-2010, 1:13 AM
That is very cool and only slighty creepy... :D

Zach England
06-15-2010, 2:20 PM
I cannot help but recall the book NAKED LUNCH.