PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 12" Rikon dics sander

Tim Null
06-14-2010, 12:54 PM
My prior thread was to give reviews on 12" disc sanders. I got a bit of a mixed bag. Everyone agrees that the Jet is great, but pricey. Some say the Delta and Rikon are fine, some say not.

I plan on doing a lot of small work, boxes etc. I have the Rigid OSS, so I was thinking of the small Sand Flee and the Rikon. My thoughts are to be able to dine tune the small parts using these three.

Can all of the Rikon owners give my their opinions? Anyone have a problem with runout. To fine tune miter edges, it should be very minimal. I have heard some say it is fine and others say to much to be acceptable.

I would really appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Tim

Don Alexander
06-14-2010, 5:35 PM
i have the Rikon mine has no runout that i can detect

Bob Carreiro
06-14-2010, 5:41 PM
Also own the Ridgid edge/spindle osculating sander - great tool.
Have you considered the HF 12" Disk Sander? It's only $129, and with their regularly posted 20% discount coupon...

good luck and happy WWing,
Bob

george wilson
06-14-2010, 6:35 PM
I haven't tried a Rikon,but did have a Delta "sanding center" where I worked. It wasn't possible to get the vacuum system to vacuum that sander well at all. Always a lot of dust. The extra miter gauge groove in the table,at 90 degrees to the disc was a pain,too. For sanding circles,but you could jam a tight fitting wooden piece into it.

Ryan Baker
06-15-2010, 9:36 PM
I have the Rikon. It doesn't have any runout problem that I can tell so far. The position stops on the table angle adjustment was initially a bit fiddly, but otherwise it is a very solid machine.