PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup Shop - someday

Jeremy Gibson
11-27-2004, 11:58 PM
I don't remember who I first heard of Sketchup from, but that is one cool tool! :cool: I've been wanting to build a detatched shop, constrained by my land and my imaginary pocketbook. I came up with a 24'x36' Miracle Truss (or similar) building. The bay on the left would be partitioned off and hold my tractor. The other two bays (24' x 26') would constitute the workshop. I added a small closet space in the back for a powder room and another on the end wall for DC and compressor. I live in the woods so I thought the exterior should be nicer than simple steel.

I know, I know...always bigger.

Martin Shupe
11-28-2004, 1:46 AM
Todd Burch is the master of Sketchup on this board. He should get a royalty for every copy sold to SMC members, but I don't think he does. He is also one fantastic woodworker!

Keith Starosta
11-28-2004, 9:14 AM
Todd Burch is the master of Sketchup on this board. He should get a royalty for every copy sold to SMC members, but I don't think he does. He is also one fantastic woodworker!

I don't know.....from what I've seen, Dave Richards could give him a prety serious run for his money. Now, we haven't heard from Todd in quite a while, so his "skills" may have improved dramatically :D , but we wouldn't know. ;)

Gitter done, boys!!

Keith

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 10:23 AM
SketchUp! is a wonderful tool for design and modeling. What I really like about it is the ability to really visualize things from any angle...it makes a project "real" before you ever start cutting. Same goes for architectural things like your shop. The cost of the program is tough for many folks, but like fine tools, if you plan on using it a lot, the investment could pay off. I almost wouldn't go back to my CAD program at this point unless there was an intricate detail I wanted to work out to exacting dimensions...the one thing I've had difficulty with in SketchUP! (But you can transfer the CAD stuff to SketchUp! for rendering, too!)

I think that Martin is correct that Todd introduced many of us to the program, but Dave and a few other folks have been really making hay with it since.

Dave Richards
11-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Keith and Jim, thanks for the compliments. I'm sure Todd has a lot more skill than I have but I manage.

Jim, I think you're right on about SketchUp being like a fine tool. If it is put to good use, it is a good investment.

Jeremy, I like your shop layout. Hopefully you'll show us pictures as you build the real thing.

Todd Burch
11-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Good drawing Jeremy! Did you model the inside too? Have about a transpaent view if you did.

I've been spending a lot (a LOT) of time "behind the scenes" with SU - doing a bunch of programming with Ruby. Dave's more advanced in the rendering stage of things than I am (He's done it - I haven't!!)

OK, so who here has Sketchup V4? Send me an email and I'll send you something p-r-e-t-t-y cool, to say the least, the likes of which hasn't been done before. Cutting edge stuff, I might add. ;)

Todd

John Yurko
11-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Got Version 4, but haven't spent any time using Ruby- Whadya got?

Todd Burch
11-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Send me your email address and I'll show you!

Jeremy Gibson
12-20-2004, 9:14 PM
The pics below show the paper construction of a 20' x 36' 3-car garage with 10' walls built for a shop and tractor bay. #1 shows the foundation - slab with 2 bump-outs. I don't know if my local codes allow for this in one pour, or if the bump-outs would have to be done later as an add-on. #2 shows the framing with an inside partition and the doors and windows. #3 shows the bathroom fixtures, hot water heater, and blue lines for radiant heating (www.warmboard.com (http://www.warmboard.com)). I like the idea of unfinished oak floors from lumberliquidators at $0.99/sq ft. #4 shows the bucket-load of outlets, lights (both flouresent and reseced cans). #5 has the proposed DC lines. The black lines would be mounted on the walls and ceiling and the grey line is for under the raised floor and feeds the table saw, jointer, and a table mounted router.

Jeremy Gibson
12-20-2004, 9:16 PM
#6 has the cabinet layout. Some for assemply, some for the mini-lathe and grinder, some for the CMS. Finally, #7 shows the proposed location of the major tools - some owned, some to be purchased. I'll insulate walls and ceiling, with drywall on top and 1/2" ply on the walls - painted white.
I welcome comments from all.

John Gregory
12-21-2004, 1:33 PM
Jeremy,
Your drawings look great. Did you create your own images of the tools? Or did you find them somewhere? A while ago I tried Autocad 2002 but then life got kinda busy to spend much time. I am wondering if Visio will do what I need to do. Anyways, great job and thanks for sharing

John

Harvey Chute
04-24-2005, 1:52 AM
The Visio stencils of woodwork tools are available (free) for download at

http://home.comcast.net/~hchute/woodshop_visio.htm

I also have a few shop layouts there that people have sent me after using the stencil to design their workshop.

- Harvey

Kent Cori
04-24-2005, 7:36 PM
I found out this week I can get Sketchup for free through work. I'll have to give it a try.