PDA

View Full Version : Profile Sanders

Jim Baker
04-03-2003, 10:29 PM
I was researching the Porter Cable 9444 profile sander to use for smoothing various contours, including edges of cabinet doors that are tricky and time consuming to do by hand. While looking at the customer reviews on Amazon.com, I saw that they were consistently very negative.

Are they really that bad? Do any of you have this sander? If so, how do you like it? Does anyone have something you like better?

Bruce Page
04-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Jim, I’m one of the rare exceptions. I never understood all the bad press that this sander receives; it might be because of its single purpose in life. I don’t use mine much – maybe once or twice a year, but when I do, I think it does a good job. It is not a roughing sander by any means but for detail work, it works.
JMHO

Craig Honeysett
04-04-2003, 4:02 AM
Don't know about the PC, but I have a Ryobi and in the past have found it to be a seldom used tool until I found that because of the very short stroke of the vibration, with 220 grit sandpaper it works exceptional for sanding delicate scrollsaw fretwork!

Stan Smith
04-04-2003, 11:22 AM
I have a PC profile sander (not variable speed). It was a gift that I thought that I wanted. I've tried to use it, but the psa keeps coming loose. It does sand profiles, if you can keep the paper on the hard rubber profile pieces. Although I haven't tried to sell it. Someone might make me an offer via private mail because I am planing to try ebay in awhile anyway. For a detail sander, I recommend the Fein. It is truly superb!

Christian Aufreiter
04-04-2003, 2:58 PM
Hi Jim,

I have no experience with the Porter Cable but I think very highly of the Festool Duplex. I saw it at a woodworking show and was really impressed.
Besides, I have a Festool ROS which is an excellent tool - perfect dust collection, hardly any vibrations, high quality, ...so I think you can't go wrong with the Duplex.
I think there are 10 different profile sanding pads for the Duplex and Festool offers a special kit for making any profile you need yourself, too.

Hope this helps,

Christian

Steve Clardy
04-04-2003, 4:03 PM
Bought 1 several years ago and the thing-a-mac-bobs kept falling out, paper was terrible. Ending up giving that 1 away. About a year ago I ran across a WW Grainger closeout on these for $48.00 or so, bought it figuring they were improved, and the thing-a-mac-bobs still fall out, and paper is still bad. So it just collects dust now. Think I will try the expensive Fein next time. Steve

Stan Smith
04-04-2003, 4:51 PM
With our posts, we're not going to be able to sell our profile sanders on ebay for very much are we?

Steve Clardy
04-04-2003, 5:20 PM
Originally posted by Stan Smith
With our posts, we're not going to be able to sell our profile sanders on ebay for very much are we?

You are probably right there. I ahve seen them go for $40.00 once in a while. Steve

Halsey MCCombs
04-04-2003, 6:15 PM
Had a PC sold it and bought a Fein,IMO a much better tool. Halsey

Chris Teenor
04-04-2003, 7:31 PM
I've had this sander for several years and, though it doesn't get a lot of use compared to other tools, when I do use it, it does what it's supposed to do. I, too, have had problems with the psa sandpaper not staying in place, but only once or twice. A little cleaning of the hard rubber profile made that stop.

It's a versatile tool and gets in places I would be able to reach.