PDA

View Full Version : Riser Block kit for Grizzly G1019?

Greg Scull
06-14-2010, 10:26 AM
I have been searching to find a possible Riser block kit for my new (to me) bandsaw. I contacted grizzly and they no longer stock the old kit. I asked if the one from the new saw would work and their response:

We appreciate your questions concerning the G1019 14" Bandsaw. Unfortunately, we no longer have a riser block to fit the G1019. The H3051 will not fit the older machine. The guideposts were a different size and designed differently. I do not know if any alterative kits that will fit the G1019.

There is a LOT of discussion on this forum and others about riser blocks that are similar between manufacturers but I am wondering if anyone has found one. I am looking at buying the HF one from their customer service line. Has anyone tried the HF one on the G1019 saw?

It sounds like the worst case scenario is that I would be drilling into the riser block for new guide posts?

any help is appreciated!

Lance Norris
06-14-2010, 12:16 PM
It sounds like the worst case scenario is that I would be drilling into the riser block for new guide posts?

any help is appreciated!

I dont have your answer, but the guide post holds the guides where the blade contacts them. You have confused the guide post with the alignment pins on the riser block. A riser kit contains a new, longer guide post, as well as the riser block.

Greg Scull
06-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I dont have your answer, but the guide post holds the guides where the blade contacts them. You have confused the guide post with the alignment pins on the riser block. A riser kit contains a new, longer guide post, as well as the riser block.

Ok, I was confused. the guide post is the "post" that you adjust to move the blocks and bearings up and down to adjust to the height of the stock, right?

That sounds important :). I think i'm going to take that part off my saw today and go and compare it to the saw @ HF. Fingers Crossed!

Lance Norris
06-14-2010, 9:35 PM
Ok, I was confused. the guide post is the "post" that you adjust to move the blocks and bearings up and down to adjust to the height of the stock, right?

Yes...

If you cant find anything, a good machine shop can make you the riser block and guide post. I dont know what it would cost, prolly not cheap. At the factory I used to work at, we had an old Delta with a shop made 3" riser block, so it CAN be done.

Mike Cruz
06-15-2010, 8:59 AM
Good luck with HF customer service. I can't believe I ACTUALLY used "HF" and "customer service" in the same sentence...

Greg Scull
06-15-2010, 9:29 AM
Thanks Lance for making me think about it as I emailed Grizzly back today and got the response

We appreciate your follow up questions concerning the G1019 Bandsaw. I'm glad you mentioned the hexagonal shaft on your machine, as you can order all of the old style parts separately. You would need to order each item for the riser block as a part. I have included the part numbers for the riser block parts that fit the hexagonal shaft design.

Quantity Item Number Description Price (each)
1 P1127001 Extension Block $24.50
1 P1127002 Ext Guide Post Hexagonal $8.50
1 P1127003 Extension Blade Guard $3.50
1 PB100 Hex Bolt 5/8-11 X 8 $4.50
1 PW14 5/8" Flat Washer $1.00
1 PN04 5/8" Hex Nut $1.00
1 PLW06 5/8" Lock Washer $1.00
1 P1127008 Guard $9.25
2 P1127009 Pin $1.00

Comes out to 54.25! Though it doesn't come with the blade, the kit retails for 69.95 So i'm pretty happy about it :).

Mike Cruz
06-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Greg, you probably don't want the blade anyway. Spend the little bit extra and get a good one, or two.

Don't ya just love Grizzly's CS? I love those guys. Extremely helpful and usually, very accurate. You wouldn't have gotten NEAR as far with HF... or many other companies, either. ESPECIALLY for that price. Delta would have charged at LEAST double or even tripple that. When I wanted a bearing for the cutterhead on my Delta jointer, it was thirty some odd dollars, from Grizzly, it was less than 5!

Greg Scull
06-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Greg, you probably don't want the blade anyway. Spend the little bit extra and get a good one, or two.

Don't ya just love Grizzly's CS? I love those guys. Extremely helpful and usually, very accurate. You wouldn't have gotten NEAR as far with HF... or many other companies, either. ESPECIALLY for that price. Delta would have charged at LEAST double or even tripple that. When I wanted a bearing for the cutterhead on my Delta jointer, it was thirty some odd dollars, from Grizzly, it was less than 5!

The customer service experience was among the best I have ever had. Certainly makes me feel better on eyeballing the baby drum sander :)