PDA

View Full Version : Kids & common sense or the lack thereof

dennis thompson
06-14-2010, 9:23 AM
My granddaughter was going to her 8th grade dance. She was going to a friends house to get dressed with a group of girls. She had all her clothes in a backpack. I told her that her dress would get wrinkled & that she should put it on a hanger, she said OK. I was getting ready to drive her when I said you forgot your dress, she said no I didn't, it's in my backpack. She had taken the dress out of the backpack, put it on a hanger & put it back into her backpack! Go figure.
Dennis

Paul Ryan
06-14-2010, 9:55 AM
Yup,

That sounds about right Dennis. The funny thing is kids that age and up to say about 19 think they are the smartest people on the planet. I heard an older guy say the other day,"for about 6 years in there my wife and I got real dumb according to our daughters."

Jim Rimmer
06-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Mark Twain had the right idea for boys; may not apply to girls. He said when a boy reaches age 6, put him in a barrel and feed hom through the hole. When he reaches age 13, plug the hole.

Charlie Reals
06-14-2010, 1:05 PM
yup,:D:D:D 8th grade or 14 yrs old:( something starts raging lol. I have a plethora of experience in this arena. 5 daughters and a bunch of granddaughters and I just this weekend had a couple of those type conversations with my 14 yr old great granddaughter with her mother looking on and laughing as she remembered the same conversations with her "Papa'".
Aint life great?:)

Charles Wiggins
06-14-2010, 1:14 PM
Sometimes its easier to keep your mouth shut and let them learn the hard way.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2010, 1:23 PM
Of course, hindsight is always 20/20 but....

It amazes me how intelligent my parents got after I turned 25.:o

Rod Sheridan
06-14-2010, 3:16 PM
I miis-understood the thread title.

I thought it indicated that people who had kids lacked common sense.

At first I was insulted, now I'm not sure.:D

Regards, Rod.

Rob Young
06-14-2010, 4:06 PM
My granddaughter was going to her 8th grade dance. She was going to a friends house to get dressed with a group of girls. She had all her clothes in a backpack. I told her that her dress would get wrinkled & that she should put it on a hanger, she said OK. I was getting ready to drive her when I said you forgot your dress, she said no I didn't, it's in my backpack. She had taken the dress out of the backpack, put it on a hanger & put it back into her backpack! Go figure.
Dennis

What's the problem. She did exactly as instructed. :D Perhaps it was the wrong hanger?

dennis thompson
06-14-2010, 5:03 PM
Rod
It's the kids who don't have common sense, certainly not the parents or in my case, the grandparents. Although I must admit she did as instructed, so maybe my instructions were not clear enough, anyway I got a good laugh from it.
Dennis

John Coloccia
06-14-2010, 5:58 PM
I asked my nephew to turn something clockwise and he did this:

: : : : : : :

And at first I did this :confused:, and then I got it and was like this ;), but then I figured out he was serious and I was all this :eek:, and then :mad:. I calmed down after a while :o but then I realized he'd be in charge in 20 years which sent me back to :eek: and :(. Now I'm just kind of hovering around :cool:.

:p

edit: anyone else charging overhead at work these days?

Mitchell Andrus
06-14-2010, 8:16 PM
Telling my eldest son to eat with his fork literally meant to hold a fork while continuing to eat with his fingers.

Mike Cruz
06-15-2010, 8:46 AM
Buuuuuttttttttt........she did what you suggested?!?!?!?!?! :D

So, was it defiance or innocence?

AND, how did it turn out? Was the dress wrinkled? Or did it turn out OK?

The funniest part is that IF the dress turned out OK, for the rest of her life, when she packs for a trip, she'll put her clothes on hangers to "keep them from wrinkling" as she puts them in her suitcase.

Kinda like why ma always chopped off the ends of the roast before putting it in the oven. When asked why? She said 'cause grandma did it. Asking grandma why she did it, she answered because the roast wouldn't fit in the pan!

It will become tradition...

Dennis, while I don't have children, I do feel your pain. My neice and nephew have had their moments. :confused:

Randal Stevenson
06-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Sometimes its easier to keep your mouth shut and let them learn the hard way.

And those of us, who have to work with the kids, then want to smack you as well.:mad:

Charlie Reals
06-15-2010, 11:23 AM
And those of us, who have to work with the kids, then want to smack you as well.:mad:

I have a son in law who is a public school counselor, he works with kids, most times I want to smack him. It works both ways Randall.;)
Some lessons are better learned the hard way butt I have always made a point of at least warning them. Over the years it has amazed me at times to find out how much they actually heard.

Gene Howe
06-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Dennis, now that's funny!:D

Randal Stevenson
06-15-2010, 11:07 PM
I have a son in law who is a public school counselor, he works with kids, most times I want to smack him. It works both ways Randall.;)
Some lessons are better learned the hard way butt I have always made a point of at least warning them. Over the years it has amazed me at times to find out how much they actually heard.

Not a teacher, an employer, who has no time or money to pay for kids without common sense.

Charlie Reals
06-16-2010, 7:40 AM
Not a teacher, an employer, who has no time or money to pay for kids without common sense.

If an employer can't tell in five minutes whether a kid will work out or has any common sense then the employer needs to go to interview school.
;). Besides, I didn't say teacher, I said counselor,right there is a lot of the problem.