PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
06-14-2010, 9:03 AM
14 June 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
I come to you today being 1 year older. I would say that I feel 16 again, but I've been sick and restricted to the house since last Thursday due to a respiratory virus that I caught from my mother when we were visiting there last week. The good thing about last week was that I got to take my dad to his chemo treatment and spend that time with him.

No woodworking for me as I'm still recovering from this nasty virus/infection.

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dave Gaul
06-14-2010, 9:21 AM
Happy Birthday! Sorry to hear of your illness, hope all gets well!

Worked some on getting my vise installed on my bench, went on a historic tour of a farm town nearby with LOML, intalled a powered vent in the shop gable, and snagged a DC system... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142282

Ken Fitzgerald
06-14-2010, 9:45 AM
I cut and assembled the case for another rolling cabinet/cart for my shop. The previous one was for my turning tools. This one is primarily for my table saw accessories. After drilling holes, I can start painting the case. Now on to cutting and assembling the drawers.

The week before last we had a granddaughter visiting with her two sons ages, 3 years and 10 months.....Yup....2 of our great-grandsons were here for a week. They returned home a week ago on Saturday and a great-granddaughter arrived the same day to spend a week with Nanny and PaPa in Idaho for a week.

This past week little Riley our 4 year old great-granddaughter from Phoenix has been visiting us. She puts the smile on PaPa's face every morning and he will miss her presence when she returns to Phoenix tomorrow!

Yesterday I barbecued my first brisket. While it turned out tasty, I think I might have overcooked it just a little...but you gotta learn. Unlike Texas where we ate our first brisket, Sharon had to ask for it and they had to special cut it at a local grocery store.

Shawn Pixley
06-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Kiko graduated on Friday. Watched the USA and Germany world cup games. Trued up and resawed some burl I found. Then went shopping for replacement carpet for the guest bedroom. Now waiting in the hospital for some medical tests

jeremy levine
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Isolated and electrical problem in my car. Now my battery stays charged but I have no A/C !

Rod Sheridan
06-14-2010, 1:37 PM
I was in Calgary working on a power system project.

Completed the commissioning tests, put the system into service and had a spare day to go to Banff and enjoy the sunshine and scenery.

Back home to Toronto this afternoon..........Regards, Rod.

jake hayes
06-14-2010, 2:08 PM
wood-wise -- got the coffee table I've been working on glued up, about 10 minutes before I remembered that I hadn't rounded over the outside corner of the legs.

Nothing I can't do afterwards, but it'd have been so much simpler to plow them through the router table before attaching them.

non-wood -- managed to combine a day when I wasn't working and the sun was out and finally made it into the pool for the first time this year. Won't quite the same this year now that hot-bikini-neighbor has moved away, but the water still felt great. Forgot about sunscreen though. Whoops.

Joe Shinall
06-14-2010, 3:51 PM
Happy Birthday Dennis. Hope you get better soon.

This weekend I got my Ridgid bandsaw together finally and now just need to work on some vibrations in it. Took down a few cabinets that were in the way and in serious shop redo mode.

During my breaks from that I started turning my first bowl and successfully broke my first bowl all at the same time!

Baseball game sunday in 101 degrees with %85 humidity. Gotta love the Georgia coast!

Rob Young
06-14-2010, 4:01 PM
Spent Saturday at the Kansas City Woodworker's Guild Open House demonstrating hand tools.

Had my shooting board plus wide miter fence to demo making a small box. Also brought along the hot hide glue and we had some fun playing with it! Did a little basic hammer veneering to make up some sheets of thin mahogany plywood for box bottoms. That also made a great lead in to scrapers.

Showed a couple guys how to sharpen a scraper to get those whispy shavings. They were impressed when I was able to go from fresh-out-the-power-planer to finish ready on some walnut in just a few strokes of a sharp scraper. :) No dust, no loud noise, no fuss, no muss. And if you act today, we will double your shipment... OK, so it was a little bit of a set-up since walnut scrapes so well. ;)

Also played with the #45 and other joinery planes and showed how they could file a molding profile into a scraper blade to exactly match existing and commercially unavailable moldings. That was a big hit with a couple guys that do repair jobs.

Jim Becker
06-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Nothing productive of the woodworking or home improvement sort this past weekend. Saturday was the normal riding lesson and mowing the lawn. Sunday, we took a trip to tour the summer camp that our older daughter will be attending very shortly.