PDA

View Full Version : 5 1/4 Bedrock Plane

Dave Gallaher
06-14-2010, 7:44 AM
I just picked up a 5 1/4 Bedrock. As planes go, how does this one stack up ? It is complete and in good shape. This was at a school auction,I bought a box of sandpaper and this was a bonus. Pictures later

James Taglienti
06-14-2010, 7:57 AM
Sweet!

The 605 1/4 is a hard to find plane. It is more in the realm of collectors than users. But that won't stop us neanders. If it's corrugated, you really scored. I don't remember what each brings in a real market, but they smooth soled version is easily a couple hundred bucks, and the corrugated is more. Their values are down right now. Regardless, it's possible that you could sell it and buy a LN or veritas with little additional investment.

The 5 1/4 was a "Manual Training" plane and many schools were reluctant to splurge and buy a dozen bedrocks that would inevitably need replacement in a few years. It is the same width as a #3, and I love #3's.

I use a 5 1/4 to clean machined edges and plane long, thin stock. It is a very nimble plane. My wife has a 5 1/4 with a small jointer fence. She is petite and doesn't like the fenced #7. She also works on mostly small projects, so she can get away with it. Both cutters are dead square.

A well cambered 5 1/4 could make a ferocious jack.

I bet many people would think the 5 1/4 unnecessary.

Regardless- I don't know what you paid for it, but it's a plane that I'd love to have.

Matt Radtke
06-14-2010, 10:50 AM
If I recall correctly, the 605 1/4 is actually the rarest bench plane Stanley ever made--even more so than the number 1. Of course, not all collectors know that and they just go nuts over the no. 1.

In my mind, it's in the same category as the number 1: "If I ever get one cheap enough and then find a collector to pay me enough for it, I'll sell it immediately, buy the LN equivalent, and use whatever is leftover to buy another something from LN."

Jim Koepke
06-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Like so many things, it is not the size or model number that matters, it is how it works for you or with collectors the perception of how it looks/fits in their collection.

Rarity is not always the price setter for collectors. If the #605-1/4 becomes more desirable than the #1 its price will climb.

My #5-1/4s are from school shop classes and are pretty beat up. They do get very little use.

jim

Dave Gallaher
06-14-2010, 12:14 PM
I actually got two 5 1/4's. These were stuffed in the back of the tool room in a drawer. One has had very little use, the other shows signs of use but is in real good shape. I thought these may have been the teachers personal stock so he would not have to dial a plane in every time he needed it.

Jim Koepke
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
If you need a #5, I would gladly trade one for a #5-1/4 Bailey style if you like.

jim

Zach England
06-14-2010, 12:44 PM
I have a Veritas 5 1/4 with their Norris-style adjuster. It took me a long time to find a use for it, but when I did I came to love it. I like to use it in conjunction with a 4 1/2 because it is about the same length but much narrower. I like to set it for a deep cut then smooth with the 4 1/2.

The Veritas has a screwy adjustable mouth that is behind the blade--never quite figured out how it is used.

Rick Rutten
06-14-2010, 3:03 PM
Dave,

Do the base plates say 605 1/4 or 5 1/4?

Rick

Dave Gallaher
06-14-2010, 3:45 PM
I have two Bedrock/Stanley 5 1/4

Don Dorn
06-14-2010, 4:56 PM
My wife has a 5 1/4 with a small jointer fence. She is petite and doesn't like the fenced #7. She also works on mostly small projects, so she can get away with it. Both cutters are dead square.

I don't want to take away from the conversation but couldn't help but to notice that your wife uses planes and has obviously considered what works well for her. You're a lucky man , I don't think mine knows what one is, nor cares.

Rick Rutten
06-14-2010, 4:58 PM
That would indicate some regular Stanley 5 1/4 planes vs. the Stanley Bedrock series. Those are probably very different animals. When you start talking about Bedrocks the price is usually few multiples higher. You should still have some pretty useful planes though.

Rick

Richard Kee
06-14-2010, 5:00 PM
I have two Bedrock/Stanley 5 1/4

Like Dave, I have a couple of Stanley 5 1/4s, but the best plane I have is the Bedrock 605 1/4. LOML insisted that I purchase it last November - I love that girl! The octogenarian from whom we purchased it received it as a graduation gift from his father upon his graduation from high school in 1946. His father had purchased it new in 1926. As we were preparing to drive away after the purchase, the old gentlemen was following us to the car telling us how to properly care for the plane. So you see, I'm the third owner.

The cutting edge on the original SW iron is 1 13/16" from the mounting hole, indicating very very little usage.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv152/lilrichard2/100_2084.jpg

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv152/lilrichard2/100_2086.jpg

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv152/lilrichard2/100_2087.jpg

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv152/lilrichard2/100_2091.jpg

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv152/lilrichard2/100_2085.jpg

Richard

James Taglienti
06-14-2010, 5:25 PM
It's very enjoyable to work in the shop with her. She has a tendency to not clean up though. Also if a cutter is dull she will wave it in the air until I scurry over to get it sharpened. She constantly amazes me with her natural hand tool ability!

Derby Matthews
10-06-2010, 9:21 AM
She appears pretty amazing with the "Husband training ability" too Jim....:D