PDA

View Full Version : PM1800 BS better than I expected...

Van Huskey
06-14-2010, 4:13 AM
Some of you know I am a PM fan but always buy a specific tool not a manufacturer that said I had never considered PM for my upcoming BS purchase until now. I have a friend who bought a PM1800 during the PM 15% off sale last year. He replaced an older Laguna LT18 and told me he was very happy. He lives out of state and I just happen to be in his neck of the woods so I dropped by for some shop time this afternoon, and spent most of my time with his PM1800 18" bandsaw.

For those that don't know it is/has 18 1/2" wheels, 18" resaw, weighs 800lbs, 5hp, poly V drive. The first thing you notice is it is a substantial saw for a 18"er. The next thing you notice is the chrome, so much I was looking for a Harley Davidson sticker, but the only HD here is heavy duty!

This thing ticks about every box I have for a bandsaw in the size range, along with the above mentioned stats it has a blade tracking window, a big easy to use quick release, with partial tension for tracking. It has crowned wheels apparently with some high tech design, dunno about that but I changed blades three times and must say it tracked easily and held very well. The tracking lever also locks. The guides are absolutely the best I have used outside the Laguna ceramics and has a built in stabilizer similar to the Carter stabilizer. It will run anything from a 1/8" to 1 1/2" without doing any guide switching. The guides are tool-less and are very user friendly. The thrust bearing has three different "guides" built into it for different widths and techniques. It has a large table and a handwheel rack and pinion tilt. The fence is by far the best stock fence I have seen on a band saw much like you see on a table saw, it has a high low aluminum extrusion which is a full 6" tall.

He had a Lenox 1" Woodmaster CT in the saw for resawing, a blade that I have not used. The quality of the resaws were amazing but since I had not used the blade on anything else it is hard to say.

The interesting thing is I had not even considered the PM, it only made sense to spend that kind of money on a Italian saw. The rough street price is almost exactly the saw as the Agazzani and the Laguna 18" saws (shipped) but it has advantages to both of them. All I can say is I am even more confused than ever, I can't wait for IWF at a minimum I can get hands on with the Felder, Minimax, Laguna and PM, alas I doubt Agazzani will have anyone there. In the end this will probably be moot and I will give up an inch of resaw and take my own advise (20" wheels are minimum for a serious resaw BS) and just get the Agazzani 24" for about the same price as the 18x18 saws, but I must admit this saw really surprised me and though I do not think it merits the list price it is certainly a viable option at its street price.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness post, its late...:cool:

Neil Brooks
06-14-2010, 9:25 AM
I sense more mustard, in your future.....

joe milana
06-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Glad to hear positive remarks about PM tools lately. Maybe the "mediocre mustard" comments of the recent past have reached corporate and they don't like them and are getting things turned around. (hopefully!)

Dave Lehnert
06-14-2010, 6:44 PM
You bing up an interesting point. I think it is easy to get caught up in looking at Asian saws for less $$$ but for an extra $200 you can get this feature, add another $150 gets you this feature etc.... Before you know it, you are up to the price of a Powermatic. Very impressive saw.