PDA

View Full Version : Pumkin seed bud vase

Curt Fuller
06-13-2010, 11:31 PM
I had more turning time this weekend than I've had in a while. I got this one oiled but not buffed yet. Took some pics anyway. It's one of those flat "pumpkin seed" disc shaped things. 10" diameter and about 2" thick. It's turned on two axises but I screwed up the stem for the opening. I usually make them from a separate piece of wood but tried this one from the same piece. I chipped it up when I was rounding the final outside shape so I had to just sand it off flat. It holds a 6" x 3/4" glass tube for water to put a flower in it. The wood is fruit cherry.

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Cool idea Curt! Reminds me of a civil war era canteen! Great looking wood! I like the softer finish on this one!

Roland Martin
06-14-2010, 6:38 AM
That's pretty neat Curt! Very nice bud vase.

John Keeton
06-14-2010, 6:56 AM
Pretty neat, Curt!! Like Steve, reminds me of a canteen. You could do a clam shell turning and make a flask!!:D

Keith Burns
06-14-2010, 8:20 AM
Excellent Curt. How about a tutorial ?

David E Keller
06-14-2010, 8:24 AM
Very cool. What a great form to show off beautiful grain patterns.

charlie knighton
06-14-2010, 11:30 AM
very nice....

Brian Brown
06-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Very nice Curt! I like how this one turned out. The wood choice is excellent too. I started on one of these two years ago, and never finished it because I couldn't figure out how to reverse mount it without a vacuum chuck. How exactly did you re-mount yours to do the second side? I always called it a canteen, because I never knew it was called a pumkin seed. Now I know. :D