PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl

Nick Mastropietro
06-13-2010, 10:59 PM
I took a "Logs to Bowls" course at the local Woodcraft this Saturday and turned my first bowl.:D About 3/4 of the way through I got a catch and blew up the edge:mad:. Now I have candy dish:o Oh well I'm not too disappointed, it was after all my first attempt at a bowl. Tomorrow (Monday) I will be stopping at a friends to pick up a few pieces of an Oak she had felled, I'll seal them up and contemplate my next attempt. I don't have a picture at this writing or I would have posted it, nothing really to look at anyway.

David E Keller
06-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Congrats on the candy dish. Looking forward to some photos. I hope you find something easier to turn than oak.:D

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2010, 11:48 PM
You know the rule about photos.... :D

Congrats on getting your first bowl finished! Remember to sign and date it - cause it only happens once!

John Hart
06-14-2010, 6:55 AM
Yup...definitely need some pics!:) Remember...this is historic...."Firsts" need to be documented. ;)

Congratulations.:)

John Keeton
06-14-2010, 7:39 AM
Nick, congrats on the completed candy dish - even if he did take a little more wood than anticipated!!:D:rolleyes: But, most importantly, you have learned that gouges and finished rims do not get along well - a valuable lesson better learned earlier vs. later!

Hope the oak haul goes well, and you get some new bowl material. Looking forward to pics of the next bowl/dish!

Rob Cunningham
06-14-2010, 1:05 PM
Nick, it's not a mistake, it's a design opportunity.:) Now you have a nice candy dish.

Joe Shinall
06-14-2010, 5:12 PM
Just saw this post after I had already created mine. All I have to say Nick is at least you had enough left over to make a candy dish. I am missing 1/3 of my bowl because of the same reason...

Nick Mastropietro
06-14-2010, 5:14 PM
Maple with a salad bowl finish.

Donny Lawson
06-14-2010, 5:44 PM
Looks real good to be your first one. Look around for some fallen Bradford Pear or Magnolia, it turns real easy. If you lived closer I would supply you with all you want free of charge.I'm going to have to have a free wood day at the house to get rid of some of mine.
Donny

Joe Shinall
06-14-2010, 5:48 PM
Very nice Nick. I really like the shape of it.