PDA

View Full Version : Birch bowl and first hollow form

Jon Behnke
06-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Recently moved and just got my shop set up. Here's a birch bowl I finished today, it was roughed out and left to dry last August. About 8" across, oil finish. Also my first hollow form, spalted maple with a pheasant wood collar. About 6" tall.

David E Keller
06-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Beautiful work, John.

Frank Van Atta
06-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Different shape on the HF - nice.

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Really good looking work Jon! Congrats on your first hollow form - but be careful - they can become extremely addicting!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Michelle Rich
06-14-2010, 6:08 AM
like the hollowform because it is a simple shape..nice touch on the rim..makes the wood stand out..

John Hart
06-14-2010, 6:15 AM
I like the HF a lot Jon. I tried to image that form without the collar...and ya know, I don't think it would have near the appeal that it does if you didn't include the collar. Great execution. :)

John Keeton
06-14-2010, 7:32 AM
Very nice work on the bowl, but I am really impressed with the HF. You have done a great job on it, and the addition of the collar is an added plus. The spalted wood is beautiful.

Tim Rinehart
06-14-2010, 7:53 AM
Definitely a nice first HF, I like the combination of the curve and the intentional break to nearly straight line to the bottom. Gives it some artistic, perhaps 'art deco' flair.(not that I know a darn thing about what Art Deco really is).

Keep up the great work, and as said, HFs are addicting. Before you know it, you'll be contemplating how to get deeper and deeper. Maybe that vortex is just stronger inside the HF...hmmm, good question for another day.

Great work and pretty pieces of wood to start.

Keith Burns
06-14-2010, 8:19 AM
Great curve on the bowl, looks great. Very nice HF as well. It's hard to pull off a straight sided form but you succeded. Great job !

Rob Cunningham
06-14-2010, 1:00 PM
Nice looking bowl and hollow form.

charlie knighton
06-14-2010, 2:03 PM
very nice, i like your first hf,

do search golden triangle woodturning get some ideas and see how your turning change over time

Mark Burge
06-14-2010, 2:20 PM
I agree with everyone about the collar. It is perfect for that HF. That is a great looking bowl too. I like how the heartwood makes a nice design on the side.

Glen J. Peterson
06-14-2010, 3:52 PM
Very nice. I particularly like the hollow form. I started one yesterday that is similarly shaped.

Jon Behnke
06-14-2010, 8:49 PM
Thanks all for the compliments. I didn't start out with a plan to add the collar but I got a little chip out around the hole so I thought the collar would be a good fix. Had a little trouble with the collar, that effected the shape of the top, was trying to get a more continuous rounded curve. Picked the wood out of a friends fire wood pile, he wants it back now, I'd give it to him if my wife didn't lay claim to it.

Cathy Schaewe
06-14-2010, 9:56 PM
Never heard of pheasant wood - where does it grow? Pretty pieces -

Thomas Canfield
06-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Jon,

I could not see the Phesant Wood very well in the picture, but other I've seen had very pretty grain with light/dark fairly tight growth rings. I like the collar but would like to see it better.

Jon Behnke
06-15-2010, 9:36 PM
Here's a picture that shows the top a little better. The Pheasant wood comes from Hawaii, it's very much like Wenge. I have a wood worker friend in Maui that sends me care packages full of Koa, Mango, Pheasant wood and others. I'm like a kid at Christmas when those packages show up.