PDA

View Full Version : My first tool gloat, new tablesaw with pic for the police..

Robert Mayer
11-27-2004, 9:11 PM
Got my new saw today. I got there today between 7-11am and got 10% off plus I printed off the tool club 10% coupon online. So I got it for $527 including tax. So I did pretty good. Plus theres a mail in rebate for another blade. I put it together in about 3 hours. They packed this thing in a metal framed pallet. I only had one problem, the bolts they included were kinda crappy and a few of them stripped out so I ended up using bolts from the pallet. I ripped a few boards and I was impressed. I no longer have to wear hearing protection and it actually cuts straight!

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/100_0942.jpg

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/100_0943.jpg

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/100_0945.jpg

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/100_0945.jpg

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/100_0949.jpg

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/100_0951.jpg

Ed Falis
11-27-2004, 9:30 PM
Looks A-OK to me. Let us know how it cuts!

- Ed

Mike Evertsen
11-27-2004, 9:48 PM
man thats a big bevel scale. I hope it works good for you but for me I would give up woodworking before I'd buy another Craftsman tool.

Mark Singer
11-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Robert,

That is a nice saw! Enjoy it safely!

Kurt Strandberg
11-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Looks like a very nice table saw, you will find guys that will never buy Craftsman, but I do and I ignore the comments of others.

Kurt

Gary Max
11-27-2004, 10:19 PM
There are a lot of us who Cfratsman tools in our shops.
I mean tools that we us every day of the week.
They may not be the greatest tools on earth but if they are set up right they work.

Ernie Kuhn
11-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Robert,
Congratulations. Sounds like you did ok ($). Good looking unit. Also, I'm really impressed with the fact that your shop even has a carpet???? I've been outclassed again. No pics of my shop after that.
Again, congratulations and we need another post after you've used it for a while.
Ernie

Carole Valentine
11-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Congratulations! It's always so much fun to get a new machine! But what's with the carpet in your shop???? I mean, I can't even keep a concrete floor clean. I can't imagine all that saw dust going into carpet! :eek:

John Weber
11-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Robert,

Congrats on the saw, looks like a very good value. So what's up with the carpet?

John

John Miliunas
11-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Good for you, Robert! :) Get that baby tweaked in and it should last you for a long time. BUT, be careful: You may get sawdust on your fuzzy stuff there! :D :cool:

Robert Mayer
11-27-2004, 11:53 PM
I have half of a 2 car garage that is my shop. About 25% of it has some blue carpet I got from my parents when they remodeled their house. Its very comfortable to walk on, but you have to break out the vacuum cleaner every so often on it. Worth it in my opinion especially in the winter.

Jerry Olexa
11-27-2004, 11:54 PM
Have fun w your new toy errrrr tool. Enjoy...

aurelio alarcon
11-28-2004, 12:20 AM
You go Boy! I'm not sure if you did your research on this table saw or not. But I have read some excellent reviews on this table saw! One of them on page 94 of this months Wood magazine, that's right, Wood magazine. They give it an excellent review in their Shop Proven section of this months Wood magazine. Here is a small excerpt of their review:

"A growing trend in stationary tools is the "hybride" table saw, which combines elements of both contractor- and cabinet- style table saws. For about $900, a hybrid gives you beefier components, such as cast iron wings and an upgraded fence. However, its mid range power and construction- with small trunions that hang the blade drivetrain from the bottem of the table- make it more like a contractor-style table saw.

Now, Craftsman blows that definition out of the water with its model 22114, a left- tilting hybrid saw with large trunions that mount to the cabinet saw. The result is a $650 tablesaw that holds its settings well............." One nice saw! I'd like to hear more about it as time goes on. Thanks for the pictures.

Nice choice!
GO CAL BEARS!

And from the pictures that you have included, they are right about how they say that Craftsman blows the traditional definition of the "hybrid" table saw out of the water. Sweet!

Norman Hitt
11-28-2004, 1:57 AM
Robert, Congrats on a new Saw. Looks to me like you could fasten a piece of MDF to the top of that bottom section of the metal crating that the saw was sitting on, and then fit 4 legs of the proper length into those round short legs at the corners, and you would have a nice outfeed table for your saw. You could clamp it in place to the saw from underneath to hold it in place, and then rout out the two channels for the mitre track slides. You would still have the rest of the crate material for another table or stand for something else

Cheers, and "Saw Safe"..........Norm.

Mike Cutler
11-28-2004, 8:27 AM
Nice looking machine Robert. It looks a little bright when contrasted against that blue carpet, but otherwise it looks just fine.
Let us know how it performs. Like Aurelio, I had read that article on the new line of Craftsman saws and was interested in how the machine performed. Craftsman had a lot of trouble with their line of saws, particurally the direct drive models, but the model you purchased seems to have addressed the issues nicely.
Enjoy your new toy, and for pete's sake, get some sawdust on that carpet
:D

Tyler Howell
11-28-2004, 8:42 AM
Alright Robert.

Lot of good stuff pumped out by the Cman.
http://www.newwoodworker.com/shocasedir.html (http://www.newwoodworker.com/shocasedir.html)
Most of us got our start there.
Congrats.;)

Thomas Prondzinski
11-28-2004, 8:42 AM
Robert
Nice looking saw,sure hope it gives you years of good service. Sure was packaged well,I wonder why others don't package that well.
Thanks for the pics and enjoy

Tom

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Nice looking saw Robert! Congrats!

Andy Haney
11-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Way to go Robert! Glad to see you made your decision and pulled the trigger. A curiousity question, since you have now been through the setup...can the fence be shifted further to the right if one doesn't care about the ruler? If this can be done the rails would provide for a significant clearance to the right of the fence.

Andy Haney

Marshall Harrison
11-29-2004, 9:30 AM
Congrats Robert.

I got mine yesterday also (see earlier post) but I got the model one down from yours for two reasons - 1. less money (makes wife happy) 2. no need for longer fence at this time and I'll upgrade to a better fence when that time comes.

They are the same saw other than the fence, miter guage and the cast iron extensions. I'll bet yours was heavy with the cast iron extensions. MIne was heavy enough with the steel extensions.

How hard was it to setup? I simply read the manual last night and will tackle the saw today or tomorrow. I'll need help turning the saw upside down to mount the legs. It sure has a lot of parts to assemble so wish me luck.

Let us know how it cut.

Greg Narozniak
11-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Congrats! I have read a lot of positive comments on the saw

Good Luck with it

Robert Mayer
11-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Congrats Robert.

I got mine yesterday also (see earlier post) but I got the model one down from yours for two reasons - 1. less money (makes wife happy) 2. no need for longer fence at this time and I'll upgrade to a better fence when that time comes.

They are the same saw other than the fence, miter guage and the cast iron extensions. I'll bet yours was heavy with the cast iron extensions. MIne was heavy enough with the steel extensions.

How hard was it to setup? I simply read the manual last night and will tackle the saw today or tomorrow. I'll need help turning the saw upside down to mount the legs. It sure has a lot of parts to assemble so wish me luck.

Let us know how it cut.

Andy, im not sure if the holes would line up if you moved the fence over. I never use the ruler on them anyway, i just stick a measure tape up to it. Thats a good idea though I might have to check that on mine. Ill let ya know.

Im not 100% happy with the fence, but it lines up straight so I can put up with it for awhile. I really need a jointer more than a better fence right now. Im very happy with the saw. I no longer need to wear hearing protection when cutting wood, which I absolutely had to do with my old saw. I set it up in about 4 hours. I did the entire thing myself actually, including flipping it back over. The thing is a monster weighing in at 380 lbs. If you flip it over by yourself watch the metal base, you dont want it to bend. Mine held up just fine. I was by myself and very impatient to get it done.

Kent Cori
11-30-2004, 1:31 PM
Robert,

Congrats on your new saw. It is a nice looking machine.

I recommend adding a great blade to get those silky smooth cuts we all like. I have a Forrest WWII on my TS and it is the best $100 investment I ever made.

Frank Pellow
11-30-2004, 2:19 PM
Robert, it is good to hear that (maybe) Sears really has got their table saws right this time. :) I hope so, but I am one of those that will take a lot of covincing before I purchase any more Crastsman power tools.

I am really really surprised :confused: by your statement (that you made twice) that you do not need hearing protection. Just what is the rated decibel level of this saw?

Robert Mayer
11-30-2004, 3:18 PM
I am really really surprised :confused: by your statement (that you made twice) that you do not need hearing protection. Just what is the rated decibel level of this saw?

I dont know what the decibel rating is on it. But I ripped a few pieces of mdf and some cedar for a birdhouse and it wasnt bad at all. Im not really sensitive to loud noises, but I am careful. Maybe my wife is right and im going deaf, lol.

The blade I have on it right now is just the blade it came with, but I also have a nice Hilti blade, its a 60t. Probably not as nice as the forrest blade, but it will work for now. Its actually a 9" blade, dont see those too often. I picked it up on ebay for about $10.