PDA

View Full Version : Black Willow

Fred Perreault
06-13-2010, 6:16 PM
Up here on the Cape, someone gave me a length of what he thought was black willow. He seems to know his wood, and said it was surely a willow in any event. Anybody got any idea about black willow and its' turning properties?
Thanks...

Dennis Ford
06-13-2010, 7:18 PM
I have worked with it. This is a beautiful wood (looks a lot like black walnut). It is very soft and difficult to cut cleanly. Really it works like other willow, just looks a lot better. It sands easily but any scratches will stand out like a sore thumb. Start sanding with a finer grit than you normally use and go one grit further than you normally do. A glossy finish looks good on this stuff (I usually prefer matt or semi-gloss).

Fred Perreault
06-13-2010, 8:34 PM
Dennis, can it be worked successfully at all green?
I know, patience... patience..... patience

Dennis Ford
06-14-2010, 7:58 AM
It can be worked green, you will get a little damp! The wood is not prone to cracking, with normal precautions it should be fine.

Jeff Nicol
06-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Fred, Around here we have the Black and the Crack willow. Both look about the same in tree form, they grow in clumps and like wet heavy soil. I have turned the crack willow a lot and the sap wood is very white and the inside is darker browns with large growth rings. Pretty soft wood and stringy, but does have some beauty in it. The black willow is just about the same thing for looks inside, they have some dark little eyes in them once in a while also.

Jeff

Cody Colston
06-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Black Willow is pretty wood but it is wringing wet when green. It can be difficult to cut on the BS because the stringy wood will pack into the gullets between the teeth. When dry it is so light that it is a surprise to pick up a bowl or vessel...it just seems too light for wood.

Turning it you have to take light cuts to eliminate tearout and still must do a lot of sanding. I'm not really a fan of it.