PDA

View Full Version : C.I. Fall Multi-Tip Tool

Gordon Vizecky
06-13-2010, 5:47 PM
I'm in need of some guidance and hopefully this is the place. As part of a recent lathe purchase I ended up with a C.I. Fall Multi-tip tool.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/product_info.php/cPath/533_561_562/products_id/3292

The tool didn't come with the DVD that explains how to use it or how to sharpen the cutters. I can figure out how to sharpen the cutters but I am unsure if the tips are supposed to be used like gouges or scrapers. They look like a gouge but.....

Anyway, I want to know how they are intended to be used but not bad enough to shell out the thirty bucks that Traditional Woodworker wants for the DVD.

Anyone here use this tool before?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Gordon

Peter Fabricius
06-13-2010, 7:46 PM
Hi Gordon;
IF this tool is to be used like the Oneway Termite then here is the quick way to make sure you orient the tool correctly.
It is a shear cut so visualize the cutter contacting the wood and then remember that your naval (belly button) should look straight through the hole in the cutter when standing in the cutting position.
You will roll the cutter head slightly depending on where you are in the interior of the bowl, but not much. NEVER open the ring to a horizontal position, it will CATCH.
Hope this helps.
Peter F.