PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on drawers that wrap around a sink?

Dan Friedrichs
06-13-2010, 3:58 PM
I'm building a new bathroom vanity, and wanted to incorporate 2 drawers that wrap around the sink basin. I've seen this done a few times before, but not often. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Potential draw-backs?

Thanks for your feedback!

Andrew Gibson
06-13-2010, 4:10 PM
The problem that I see is that because there is no support at the back of the drawer/s when opend and closed the unit may have issues staying square and cause binding.

How big of an estecic sacrifice would it be to make 2 seperate drawers?

Dan Friedrichs
06-13-2010, 4:17 PM
Thanks for the reply, Andrew.

I was also a little worried about that. I do plan on using Blum undermount slides, so my hope is that the "auto adjusting" left-hand slide may help aleviate any problems with racking the drawer.

I considered 2 separate drawers, but the whole vanity is only 30" wide, so I feel like if I did separates, with a false drawer in front of the sink, by the time I added in the support for the slides, the faceframe, etc - I'd end up with 2 little tiny drawers. I feel like I might squeeze a little more drawer width out, this way.

Dave Wagner
06-13-2010, 6:28 PM
That is how i modified my old buffet for the vanity. I wanted as much storage as possible. I have the 2 long drawers in the first one to clear the sink, and a cutout in the second one just for the drain. The bottom two drawers are unmodified. I actually re-plumbed all the pipes against the back wall and put a 4" overhang on the top/back for clearance.

I just used wooded slides/guides, I made enough clearance, it doesn't bind much at all.

Dan Friedrichs
06-13-2010, 7:41 PM
Thank you, Dave! That's exactly what I was hoping to find - that someone else tried it first, and it worked :)