PDA

View Full Version : Stress related memory loss

Jay Jolliffe
06-13-2010, 3:44 PM
AKA Transient Global Amnesia. Two years right before Christmas TGA set in for about 8 hours. Ended up in the hospital & they did blood test, CT'S, MRI, EEG & a bounch of other tests and they didn't show anything. I found the pic's of my brain interesting though. Showed some brain shrinkage which they said is normal as you get older. I blame it on the 60's & 70's maybe a little into the 80's. They said it's caused mostly by stress. Well, it came to visit me a few days ago, not as intense as the first time. This time I did remember a little of what I did minutes before but not everything. Had my wife quite upset because she thought another trip to the hospital.This wouldn't be covered by insurance as we have new insurance with a huge deductible. It was if I had dremt what happened a few minutes before but not positive. My wife thought I was kidding but when I asked the same question a few minutes later & didn't remember asking it before she started to worry. I am under a little stress right now. Someone I've been working for building an office is coming for the summer & I'm not done yet. Have about a week left.So that's where the stress comes in. I've been very obsessed about finishing & I guess I blew the circuit breaker in my head. Has anyone else experienced this or know some who has ?.

David G Baker
06-14-2010, 1:37 PM
Jay,
I had similar problems when my doctor put me on STATINS for high cholesterol. I did not actually have a black out episode but my short-term memory was going fast. I didn't wait for the doctor to take me off the drug I stopped on my own. I also had the muscle weakness that was getting worse with every passing day along with pain through out my body. I was on the drug for less than a month. You may not have an issue related to statins but from your description of your symptoms you need to pursue getting diagnosed and treated.

Chuck Wintle
06-14-2010, 2:08 PM
when i get stressed I have to shed the stress in a nondestructive way. It takes a little training and discipline to achieve this...like biofeedback.

Joe Chritz
06-14-2010, 3:05 PM
Get a copy of the P90X exercise program. Set aside 1 hour to do the program. (or something similar)

I get to deal with my fair share of stress. Everyone handles it differently but if it doesn't find some outlet it will take a very destructive path. trust me on that. Channel it and use it.

In fact I am headed down to the weight room now since I just got called in for work tonight. Need to get my hour out of the way. I was just making good progress on the next cabinet project too.

I hear you about the pictures. I ended up getting xrays of my head when I thought someone broke my eye socket (long story :o) and found out I have a really bad deviated septum. Strange enough I don't have any breathing or snoring problems.

Joe