PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #45 help

Dave Lehnert
06-13-2010, 3:06 PM
Where is a good place on the net to get info on what a 45 plane looks like in good condition with all the parts. I can find pic's on the Bay but that don't tell me if all the parts are there or Not. Also how many cutters come with them.
I ran across one at a flea Market today but was not armed with enough knowledge to know if it was good or not. The guy was not giving it away but would have been a fair price if it was all there.

Any other planes like a 45?

Ray Newman
06-13-2010, 3:09 PM
Try here for some info:
http://www.supertool.com/stanleybg/stan0a.html

The Stanley #55 is an updated/improved version of the #45. Record also produced a Multi-plane, the #405.

harry strasil
06-13-2010, 4:25 PM
46 is a skew angle 45, and a 50 is a mini 45, then their are the pre 45's, Sigley or some such, other mfgs copied the 45 and they have their own numbers, but they are essentially a stanley 45.

Griph0n Brown
06-13-2010, 4:46 PM
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/combinationplanes.html

I've got a 45 and like it but I like my Veritas Small Plow Plane better. I guess I use it mostly for groovin rather than moulding. I've heard (dunno where) that the 45 is a better user than the 55.

There's a link somewhere in there that has the manual with an exploded view of the 45's parts.

Good Luck

Jim Belair
06-13-2010, 6:30 PM
I think since the 55 is capable of more complex tasks, it has more knobs to tweek, hence is more difficult to set up than a 45 or other, simpler multiplanes.

Jim B

Jim Koepke
06-13-2010, 7:20 PM
Dave,

Here is a bit I wrote on the Stanley #45:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1176704#poststop

As someone else mentioned, Patrick's Blood & Gore also has some good information about the Stanley #45 (supertool.com).

Many companies made similar planes.

Most that are like the #45 require cutters that are of the same depth at the outside to work well. The #55 has one skate that is adjustable independent of the main stock skate so it can use cutters that incorporate different depths at the skates. The rod spacing is different on the various Stanley models. The fences from a #55 can not be used on a #45.

My recollection says there were 23 cutters standard with the final set up of the #45. Earlier versions may have been as few as 17. There are sets of special cutters available that brings the total up to above 40 if my memory is working. You will seldom see those for sale.

The least expensive way to buy a Stanley #45 is to buy the model that was sold through Wards. The collectors do not bump the price of these up even though it is the same plane with some of the identification removed and a couple of the adjusting knobs painted red.

In my write up on the #45, I mention the locking screw on the fence that is often missing. I have never seen one of these for sale by itself. The slitters come up for sale all the time. The slitter is a blade that is not often used, but for some things it would be handy. Also remember that Stanley used their own screw sizes including threads and pitch. This makes it even harder to find replacement parts.

I would also say things like a broken handle should be a deal killer. There are too many good ones available for there to be any reason to buy one that is broken or missing the hard to find or unobtainable parts.

jim