PDA

View Full Version : Need a source for Round carbide cutters...

Jack Gaskins
06-13-2010, 2:47 PM
Looking for somewhere to purchase some round carbide cutters to go on my homemade easy rougher. A friend of mine bought some square cutters from Global tooling for $2 each but couldnt find any round cutters.

Mikail Khan
06-13-2010, 3:02 PM
mcmaster.com

Not sure what size you need.

MK

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2010, 3:09 PM
I haven't done business with these guys yet but was impressed with their selection. Maybe something there would work for you.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/Dynamiclanding.aspx?CategoryID=4285

David E Keller
06-13-2010, 3:33 PM
Jack, if you have a machine shop close by, I'd check with them. If you already have a cutter, they should be able to figure out the replacement. If you're starting from scratch, they should be able to recommend a couple of options and get you prices(don't forget to order the screws that go with the insert).

You probably already know this, but the wood cutters have different rake angles than the ones used for metal. Also, the metal inserts are in part classified by the tolerance which should have no bearing on a wood tool.

Gary Conklin
06-13-2010, 3:36 PM
I haven't done business with these guys yet but was impressed with their selection. Maybe something there would work for you.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/Dynamiclanding.aspx?CategoryID=4285

I have done business with them. They have even added a woodturning selection

http://www.carbidedepot.com/wood-turning.htm

Steve Harder
06-13-2010, 4:02 PM
I've done a lot of looking and I have not found an alternative source for the flat round carbide that is used on the C0 Easyfinisher. One source told me that those cutters were not widely used, required aftermarket touchup and that he would have to charge more for them than EasyWoodTools.

Steve R Baker
06-13-2010, 8:09 PM
I ordered 5 round ones from carbide depot & 3 screws. The cutters are cuped (that what i call them). I got the 12mm ones. The screws are 3.5mm. Havent got a tap yet. I used a 4mm tork screw. Grind the bar at a angle to keep it from grabbing. Not sure what angle, just keep working with till it worked. Still want some flat round ones if I can find them. Still looking.

Neil Strong
06-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Flat round carbide inserts are as rare as hen's teeth!

Cupped ones are more readily available.

If anyone can find a cheap source they will be our hero...:)

Not sure if this topic has been covered before in this forum, but it has definitely been covered extensively in another forum in Australia. Search using the term 'round carbide'.

Looks like the only way it can be done is to do a bulk order (5,000+), probably from China. Could be a nice little sideline if you can wait to recoup your capital. If anyone runs with this, put me down for 100. I could probably put together another 400 from Australia.

Jeff Nicol
06-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Guys, This is not such a mystery at all. I buy the ones that have a beveled edged or negative rake on them, get the ones that do not have the titanium coating on them. If you can find the ones that are for cutting cast iron ,aluminum or stainless steel they are sharper already. They are easy to sharpen by using a 600grit diamond flat sharpener. But I still end up going back to my old sawblade cutters as they are thinner and much easier to make and way cheap! I think they work as good or better than the carbides.

The thing with the ones made for cutting steel are not razor sharp like the Hunter cutters and the CI cutters, but with a little effort on the diamond stone they will sharpen up.

Good luck,

Jeff

bryan stanley
06-14-2010, 7:13 PM
The carbide inserts I use are made by die jet they are for cutting aluminum, when ever I need some I just go over to the tool crib and ask or a box

Neil Strong
06-14-2010, 7:48 PM
The carbide inserts I use are made by die jet they are for cutting aluminum, when ever I need some I just go over to the tool crib and ask or a box

Bryan, is Die Jet the name of the company?

Did do a G search but nothing came up.

Greg Bender
06-14-2010, 8:22 PM
+1 for what Gary said,I have purchased some of the wood cutting carbide inserts and they work great.Prices are pretty good for the quality of the cutting edge. To take it a step further,this place is real good for buying various materials such as tool post steel,square stainless for long boring tools,3/4" bar stock for Mr Jamieson's hollowing setup.etc,etc,etc. http://www.speedymetals.com/default.aspx?

And globaltooling.com for the square and slightly radiused knifes boxed 10 to a tube.Hope that helps.
Greg

bryan stanley
06-14-2010, 8:35 PM
Die Jet is the name of the company who makes the inserts as well as cutter bodies