PDA

View Full Version : Need info ASAP on VEGA lathe with VEGA D-36 Duplicator

Dave MacArthur
06-13-2010, 2:32 PM
Folks, I need some advice. Found this Vega lathe with the D-36 duplicator, avail for $400 total. I don't really need the duplicator, and I can't figure out what type of lathe it is--doesn't match their current website. I don't know anything about Vega except I'd heard them mentioned as good.

I have to move quick on this, does anyone know this lathe, what it swings, and what the setup is worth maybe? A closeup of the motor looks like 110v @7.4A, 0.5HP. (or 3.9 A on 220V), which doesn't seem like much to me.
Any inputs or advice welcome, I have to be driving in a couple hours if I want it.
THANKS!
Dave

http://www.lowlyingfruit.com/images/Toolsforsale/101_0496.jpg

Rusty Eads
06-13-2010, 2:43 PM
I have that same exact lathe except somebody painted it gray and it doesn't have the duplicator. I posted a thread on here as well to find out what kind it is (model no etc.) and no luck so far. I do know that it has a 12 inch swing and 36 inches on center. Mine also came with a 1/2 motor that can wire 110/220. I bought mine on cl for $90. I have yet to turn on it and it is my very first lathe (got it because it was cheap and I wanted to try my hand at turning). As for how much they are worth I have no idea but I think that I got mine dirt cheap. $400 for it and the duplicator...somebody else may have to help you out with that. I can tell you that it is extremely sturdy and heavy. Probably not the best but certainly not the worst. Wish I could be of more help and if you do find some more info please let me know as I am searching as well

Dave MacArthur
06-13-2010, 5:05 PM
Thanks much Rusty!
That's what I needed to know, the 12" swing. The duplicator is $700 or so new, and this is probably great for making spindles for furniture, but I'm really looking to get into bowls and platters--was hoping this was like the Vega bowl lathes I've heard of. The 1/2 HP kinda gave me little hope, as I'd expect 1.5-2hp for large turnings though. I'm kinda set on getting a PM3520B or the 2HP jet 1642, so anything I find needs to be in the same ballpark and decent deal.

Thanks, your timely reply just saved me 5 hours! ;)

Rusty Eads
06-13-2010, 7:46 PM
No problem, glad I can finally help somebody out on here seeing how I'm still a newbie to this forum