PDA

View Full Version : Some new stuff...

Fred Perreault
06-13-2010, 2:04 PM
I was spending some time in the shop recently, rather than the veggie garden, and whipped out these items. The birds eye maple 3 legged suspended bowl is 3"h.x8" across the sides. The birds eye square dish is 2"h.x8" square. The cherry goblet with captive ring is my first effort at such an item, and it is 7"h.x2.5"w. The cediper (red cedar..?) bowl is 2.5"h.x9"w.
I am not suer what the 3 legged suspended thingy will hold in the future, but rest assured it held my attention for almost 2 hours yesterday.

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2010, 2:08 PM
Nice work on everything Fred! Really like the Birdseye bowl - excellent form! Thanks for sharing!

Fred Perreault
06-13-2010, 2:10 PM
oooops..... the first picture of the square bowl is not my bowl. The one I did is below.
Thanks,
Fred

David E Keller
06-13-2010, 3:45 PM
Nice looking stuff, Fred. The three legged bowl is particularly interesting.

charlie knighton
06-13-2010, 4:22 PM
very nice....

John Keeton
06-13-2010, 8:01 PM
Fred, you sure have lucked upon some nice BE maple!! The three legged bowl really looks nice, and good job on the goblet, as well.

The cedar bowl may be my favorite - though the three legged one is close.

Square bowls don't seem to do much for me, but the wood in the one you did really adds to it and you did a good job on it.

Fred Perreault
06-13-2010, 8:32 PM
Thank ya'll.... the cedar is from my property, but the birds' eye is from Gaspe, Quebec, Canada. I had a few thick planks given to me last August on a visit, and they are so full of figure it is hard to explain. We are going back north this August, and he promised me some more of it.

John Hart
06-13-2010, 9:22 PM
Nice grouping Fred. It's cool to see versatility in people's work. :)

Rob Cunningham
06-14-2010, 1:09 PM
Beautiful work Fred.

Roland Martin
06-14-2010, 2:21 PM
Very well done on all the turnings Fred. I think the goblet is the coolest.

Tim Rinehart
06-14-2010, 2:30 PM
Fred,
I have to agree with fine comments on the grouping, they're all quite nice, and the birds-eye is pretty wood...wish I had some.

I must say, I had my attention immediately on the goblet though. So many goblets (especially my own) are so light and spindly, to always be viewed as art. Yours looks the part of being able to quaff some fine aged beverage with dignity. Here here!! I like it best of all the pieces for it breakaway from traditional thin stemmed, fragile goblets. Great proportions and details.

Michelle Rich
06-15-2010, 7:02 AM
I like the humble cedar bowl the best...I admire the skill of the others, but the cedar bowl is just lovely

Fred Perreault
06-15-2010, 7:14 AM
Thanks again..... in fact the LOML uses the wine glass frequently now that it has cured. I am not a very patient or sophisticated turner, so a lot of my "stuff" is utilitarian. Now I have to go pack for the trip to Hartford for the AAW convention. It will be my first AAW meet, and I am excited.

Bernie Weishapl
06-15-2010, 7:58 AM
Those are really nice pieces Fred. I like the second bowl.