PDA

View Full Version : Saw help...How did I do?

Dave Gallaher
06-13-2010, 1:02 PM
Went to an auction and picked up a couple of saws. Need some expert help.
1 Disston-Porter Mitre box saw 24X4 No Mitre box with it. This one will be sold if someone needs it. It was in the pile.

2 Henry Disston and Sons Back saw. The handle is broken but I have another handle. It measures 12 X 3 1/2. On the saw it reads: Cast steel, Henry Disston and Sons,Keystone saw works. There is some other stuff but I hope that will narrow it down for identification.

3 Henry Disston and Sons. D-8 the back of the saw is arched. It is 26 long and stamped 5 1/2

4 Henry Disston and Sons D-8 arched back 26 long #8 stamped

I only paid $10.00 for the bunch. I hope one or two are worth sending out to sharpen and use in the future. Soooooooo.... is it worth what I paid? What saws should I invest in sharpening? And any other info you could share would help me down the road.

george wilson
06-13-2010, 1:04 PM
You did great. They also make good scrapers if too bad to sharpen. Cut them on a sheet metal shear. It doesn't hurt the shear as the blades crack ahead of the cutter.

Jim Koepke
06-13-2010, 7:29 PM
Sounds like you did good, but as they say, no pictures… Didn't happen.

You might think about investing some time and effort in to learning to sharpen your saws yourself. It can be quite rewarding and will pay off in no time.

jim