PDA

View Full Version : Just a plane GLOAT

Rick Markham
06-13-2010, 12:43 PM
ok... and a dovetail saw too! Just the things that I picked up on the "auction site" recently... I saved just enough, I definitely didn't get any of them for $.25 but I saved enough between them for a toothed blade for the jack, and a improved chip breaker (for another auction site purchase that I am working on so I will have two jacks) and a little bit left over to put towards my next plane or chisel purchase. The LN 4 1/2 is from David Weaver, and apparently I am the third generation creeker to own it... It pulls amazingly beautiful shavings. 50degree frog with a 35degree primary bevel! It even planes the nasty twisty Wenge that I have sitting around :eek:

I know I am in too deep now :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/005-4.jpg

Abi Parris
06-13-2010, 2:10 PM
Welcome to the Enabler Section! We are here to help you answer the question "Do I need this plane/saw/etc?" Hint: The answer is always yes. :)

Now stop gazing at them lovingly and make something. ;)

George Sanders
06-13-2010, 2:53 PM
Good haul. Maybe if I sold all of my planes I could buy one plane that nice.

Tony Shea
06-13-2010, 7:25 PM
Nice grab man, that #4 1/2 is a plane I've been eyeballing for a long while. The extra width would be some nice in lots of situations. Beauty's man.

David Weaver
06-13-2010, 9:11 PM
It's a wonderful plane to use in hardwoods.

I remember when I saw raney nelson selling his and I thought "I can't believe someone would sell a LN 4 1/2. He had made a bunch of infill smoothers, and said he wasn't probably going to use the LN again.

I sort of fell into the same basket - though so far i've only made two with a third soon done. I was using the LN a couple of weeks ago on something and thought "what the hell am I doing? Why did I just sweat it out peining and lapping an all steel smoother to let it sit on the shelf? Plus, my wife was getting up my rear about spending almost $300 in materials for a plane when you can basically buy one for that.

You'll love that one in particular, the adjuster is super nice on it - a tad smoother than the rest of my LN planes with almost zero backlash (my 8 has 3/4ths of a turn). I'm glad it went to a creeker.

Rick Markham
06-13-2010, 9:41 PM
David I noticed about the adjuster knob. None of my other LN planes are anywhere close to how perfect it is. I can't feel any backlash at all in it. Well I will be joining the infill crowd soon, I want to put one together, doubt I will ever stop using this one, but we shall see. Luckily the LOML is very supportive of this, but we shall see when there are planes everywhere, she might change her tune! I guess I have to figure out how much "backlash" she has :D

Don Dorn
06-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Go figure as to what people like. I have a 4 1/2, a 3 and a 10 1/4 in LN. By far, I reach for the 4 1/2 the least and the 10 1/4 the most.

Zach England
06-13-2010, 11:45 PM
should buy planes before getting married...seems so obvious

Rick Markham
06-14-2010, 1:07 AM
should buy planes before getting married...seems so obvious

That's exactly what I am doing!!! :cool: