PDA

View Full Version : Cutting circles with Festool 1400

Ben West
06-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I needed to cut some circles for a revolving shelf unit in the kitchen. I had thought about making or buying a circle cutting jig, but then remembered a post on the old Festool owners group several years ago.

If you have a Festool router and guide stop, this method uses mostly existing equipment. All you'll need to buy is a longer bolt and, depending on the diameter of the circle you need, longer rods.

To rig this up, I just replaced the existing bolt in the hand knob on the back guide stop with one slightly longer (the bolt is an M6; I used a 50mm bolt, I think the existing bolt is a 40 mm). This results in the bolt projecting slightly from the outside guide stop.

Depending on the size of circle needed, you may have to purchase longer guide bars. I needed a 28 inch circle, so the standard bars that come with the guide stop were too short. So, I picked up a couple of 36-inch, 5/16" bars.

To use, just drill a small pilot hole at the center of the circle, place the protruding bolt from the guide stop in there, and adjust the length to cut the diameter of choice. One wouldn't have to use both guide stops as I have, but using both in this combination gives you a micro-adjust ability, if you need it.

So, for a total of $8, I have a circle cutting jig that is micro-adjustable, capable of cutting a 6-foot circle, and quick and easy to use. Not bad!

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-25-2013, 8:19 PM
I found this on a google search. This is a great tip!! It's a little late but thanks for posting!