PDA

View Full Version : Question for Harry Strasil

George Sanders
06-13-2010, 10:57 AM
I bought an anvil yesterday and I'm curious as to why it has a rounded projection on the side toward the rear of the horn.

harry strasil
06-13-2010, 11:44 AM
That is a farriers anvil, the projection is used to form/make toe clips on horseshoes.

Hay Budden is a good Anvil, they made anvils for lots of others and put whatever name was wanted on them. I have a Blackjack, made for Keen Kutter by Hay Budden.

The 2 hardies laying on top are also farriers hardies.

It weights 155 lbs, and if you look on the front foot there will be a number, I can tell you approx what year it was made by that number.

George Sanders
06-13-2010, 2:47 PM
I found the number. 10887

harry strasil
06-13-2010, 2:52 PM
1894, they made 7000 anvils that year.

George Sanders
06-13-2010, 2:58 PM
Thank you Harry, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge.

harry strasil
06-13-2010, 3:34 PM
I just read a lot, and being a 3rd generation smith who practized my profession for 55+ years, I have a vested interest in smithing, besides I have collected a small library of old trades technical manuals etc. And, I read a lot, and in looking up answers for questions from other people I learn a lot.
I just try to be helpful.

If you really want to get someone mad at you, try removing their ability to learn and see what happens!

Terry Beadle
06-14-2010, 11:10 AM
I am wanting a small anvil and I've been looking at the ones from Grizzly.

Do you know if their quality is up to par or should I just keep looking in used tool shops?

harry strasil
06-14-2010, 11:35 AM
I have no idea about Grizzly Anvils. There are a bunch of Cast Iron anvils out there that are only good for boat anchors. There are some Russian anvils on the market that are Cast Steel that will work well, I believe they are the double horn european style for around $110. But, the machining on the face is not good and they need to be touched up by the buyer.
The only decent Cast Iron Anvils were the Fischer or Fisher Anvils which had a Hard Face Applied or cast on. They do not Ring, but are excellent anvils, but bring a premium price.

Eric DeSilva
06-14-2010, 2:42 PM
I am wanting a small anvil and I've been looking at the ones from Grizzly.

Do you know if their quality is up to par or should I just keep looking in used tool shops?

Anvilfire.com has some interesting reading if you are looking for an anvil: http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/ They refer to cast iron anvils as "ASOs"--"Anvil Shaped Objects."

I love Grizzly tools and have plenty of green machines in my shop. But when I went looking for an anvil, I went to a blacksmith's convention and came home with a 200+# Peterwright from the 1800s.

If you really want something smallish, you might see if you can just find a section of train track or a cut off from a thick steel I-beam.

Terry Beadle
06-15-2010, 9:44 AM
Thank you all for your advice. Now at least I think I know what to look for.

Thanks again.