PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendation for low cut steel toe shoes?

Brian Elfert
06-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I have a pair of low cut steel toe shoes that are literally falling apart. I was going to use the Shoe Goo on them again, but I think it is time to get something new.

Any recommendations on a particular brand of low cut steel toe shoes that are not all leather? My current ones are mostly Cordura nylon with some leather. The problem is the sole is falling off. Oh, I also need something in a wide width.

I would just buy another pair of the same model shoes, but Mills Fleet Farm quit carrying the WorK N Sport brand probably a decade ago. Blain's Farm and Fleet carries the brand, but not the same shoe.

I haven't worn steel toe shoes for work in more than a decade, but I love these type of shoes for working around the house. The steel shanks really help when standing on a ladder.

Scott T Smith
06-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Brian, Carhart makes a pair of steel toed sneakers (http://www.supercasuals.com/Carhartt/Carhartt_3902.cfm?source=gg). I have owned a pair for about 6 yearsand have had good wear from them.

I don't know if they have a steel shank or not, but they weigh somewhere between a workboot and a regular pair of gym shoes.

Brian Elfert
06-13-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't care so much about steel shank as long as the sole is rigid enough for standing on a ladder without the step or rung digging into my feet. I can feel the step or rung with my tennis shoes, but not with my steel toe shoes.

I am hoping to find something for under $100, but I don't know if that is possible.

Bruce Page
06-13-2010, 1:12 PM
Brian, I have a pair of Converse steel toe tennis shoes. They are the most comfortable steel toe I have ever worn.

Jim Rimmer
06-13-2010, 5:15 PM
You should be able to find a Lehigh store in Minneapolis. They carry all types of safety shoes. I have no affiliation with Lehigh but I do wear their shoes. Try LehighSafetyShoesdotcom

Jim Koepke
06-13-2010, 7:58 PM
I wear Red Wing shoes and they are good. I would always buy the factory seconds or the discontinued styles. Not all the stores carry them and I think the time for that is around the first of the year.

Another brand that hospital workers like is Chippawa, if my memory and spelling is working.

Google work shoes or safety shoes. Some now use composites instead of steel in the toe.

jim

Brian Elfert
06-13-2010, 11:23 PM
I wonder if Red Wing has a factory outlet at company HQ? It would still be a good three hour round trip so not sure it would be worth it.

Yes, I can google for work shoes and get 100 million results, but I was hoping folks here might have some more specific recommendations.

Jim Koepke
06-14-2010, 1:29 AM
I know people who would buy safety shoes at Sears. Decent shoe if worn everyday for construction type work would last 6 months to a year. They used to be about $40.

Red Wing at full price are about 3 to 5 times that. The Red Wings are made to be resoled if you do not trash the uppers. I have one pair that is still good going on 15 years. I used to wear them 5 days a week. Then I got a few more pairs and now only wear the most comfortable pairs. I used to always buy the seconds and discontinued at about half price. There is a difference in the warrantee and service. Ask the dealer where you buy. If you rotate wearing pairs, they will last a lot longer than wearing the same pair all the time.

jim

John Christian
06-14-2010, 10:31 AM
I have worn Red Wing boots to work and play for the last 15 years( previously i couldn't afford them) I have two pairs right now. I am 270lbs and walk on concrete all day. When my wife and i went to Europe a couple of years ago i wore them they were so comfy. Best boots ever, and I notice they sell steel toed shoes as well

Dave Lehnert
06-14-2010, 12:29 PM
I use to have a pair of "Georgia Boot" Purchased them at Tractor Supply. Very good boot.

I have purchased shoes from this company. Free shipping, free return shipping. If you get on there e-mail list they run % off sales all the time. I have gotten some incredible deals that way.

http://www.shoebuy.com/mens-boots.htm

Right now they have a 20% off everything sale. No code I can see, you have to click through the sale e-mail.

Brian Elfert
06-14-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't use my safety shoes every day. These are for working around the house and on projects at relatives' houses. I use my safety shoes maybe as much as 8 to 12 hours in a week.

I don't wear safety shoes for work. I have had my current shoes at least a dozen years, but I have repaired them 5 or 6 times during that time.

Matt Meiser
06-14-2010, 10:33 PM
I've got a pair of Cat ones I wear when I'm at a customer plant that requires them. They look more like a hiking shoe. They are reasonably comfortable for a work shoe and were relatively inexpensive.

Brian Elfert
07-01-2010, 1:32 PM
I haven't gotten around to buying a new pair of safety shoes yet. I've been waiting for a check that I just got so I have the money now.

Myk Rian
07-01-2010, 3:48 PM
When I started my apprenticeship in 1970, I bought a pair of Red Wing safety shoes. I still have them.

Brian Elfert
07-05-2010, 5:03 PM
I ended up buying a pair of Worx safety shoes from a local Red Wing Shoes store. Carhartt shoes are also made by Red Wing and I was hoping to look at them too, but Red Wing Shoe stores are dropping Carhartt. 50% off remaining stock, but nothing in my size. I think I got a decent deal. I could save $15 by buying online, but then I can't try them on. Sears has an awesome clearance price of $51 shipped on these shoes, but missing my size again.

These have to be the widest shoes I have ever worn. These are almost too wide. I buy wide New Balance athletic shoes and they usually split along the bottom eventually because they aren't wide enough.

For the $120 I paid these better last a while. My last pair of $40 safety shoes lasted at least a dozen years, but I have also glued the sole on quite a few times. I would buy the $40 ones again if they still made that style.

Marko Markovich Jr
07-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I've always had good luck with RED WING , I've worn others but none seem to match up with them ,Just my .02 worth