PDA

View Full Version : Turning/Sculpture - "Friendship..."

Jim Becker
11-27-2004, 7:42 PM
I decided to post this project here in General Woodworking because although it started out via turning, most of the real work was done with hand tools, such as chisels, gouges, rasps and a coping saw after a few rough freehand cuts on the bandsaw. That was followed up with a small pneumatic carving tool to refine the shape and then lots of hand sanding starting at 80 grit and working up through 600.

The title of this piece is "Friendship is the purest form of LOVE" and is a holiday gift for a very special friend of mine. It's carved from cherry, sits on a walnut base and is about 9-10" tall. The finish is BLO followed by water bourne acrylic lacquer. Due to the "flexible" nature of the carving, I was not comfortable with buffing it and will just hit it lightly with very fine steel wool and wax before packing it up for shipping. I would estimate that I have about 6 hours of actual working time in this small piece total...which also surprised me. I expected it to take a lot longer.

I have to say that although this was a very challenging project and something I've never done before, I believe that there will be more pieces done in a similar manner in the future. I really enjoyed the "art" aspect and the break away from straight turning. (Not that I've been on the lathe that much lately, anyway) One thing I tried to do while making the piece was keep the wood oriented so that the annular rings stayed relatively balanced on each of the two figures...a technique that I admire Lyle Jamison's work for.

The first picture is of the finished piece and I've included a few others that show the work in progress. Before starting, I drew out a profile on paper that allowed me to turn the initial blank between centers and remove a lot of the material that would only be cut away anyhow. This process also included making a tenon on the bottom to hold the piece in the Talon for carving as well as be used to mount it to the base. I also drilled down through the center to make removing material easier. From there it was just a matter of cutting away wood until the two figures took shape and then refining them to their final profiles.

Scott Coffelt
11-27-2004, 7:47 PM
Very nice. I am sure your friend will really like it.

Michael Stafford
11-27-2004, 7:49 PM
Jim,

The sculpture is absolutely gorgeous!

The concept and creation are both highly creative and the giftee should be honored.

How apropos the title is particularly in that love and friendship were the motivation both for the creation and the gifting. :)

Really nice job. :D

Jim Ketron
11-27-2004, 7:50 PM
Awesome work Jim!!!
beautiful piece of art!!
The base sets it off nice choice
Jim

Tony Falotico
11-27-2004, 7:52 PM
And a truly wonderful gift.

John Miliunas
11-27-2004, 8:13 PM
"Earth to Jim. Earth to Jim. You out there Jim?" :confused: (Hey, sorry, but I heard these arteeeest types are "way out there"! :D

Seriously, that is stunning from conception to execution! :) I'm very impressed, to say the very least! I think most of us have seen some creative stuff come out of your woodwor....errrrrrrr....studio, but this is certainly a deviation from you "norm". I would be thrilled to receive such a special gift! You outdid yourself, my friend! :) :cool:

Joe Mioux
11-27-2004, 8:18 PM
Mr Becker. That piece is wonderful. I would have loved to have seen you turn it!

Fred Voorhees
11-27-2004, 8:20 PM
Jim you have friggin' outdone yourself! Truly amazing! Museum quality. Needless to say - I LIKE IT!

Jim Becker
11-27-2004, 8:21 PM
I would have loved to have seen you turn it!
Strangly enough...the "turning" took about ten-fifteen minutes tops for the sculpture and about 15 for the base. All the rest was "making a mess" all over the lathe with various non-spinny operations. Different, but enjoyable.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

"Oh to be a fly on the wall when my friend opens the package under her tree..." :p

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-27-2004, 8:23 PM
Speechless Jim.

Nice set of pictures. too.

Bruce

Keith Starosta
11-27-2004, 8:42 PM
I had the pleasure of seeing this piece in person just before Jim put a finish on it. I was sworn to absolute secrecy until he was done. Again, just a fabulous piece, Jim.

Keith

Dale Thompson
11-27-2004, 8:58 PM
Jim,
I have thrown bricks through at least three TV sets during that PBS show where "artists" keep saying how EASY it is to create art. :mad: :mad:

OK, bud, you're another one of those artist people. You are just plain lucky that I can't afford a new 'puter monitor right now because the damage would be on your conscience! ;)

Beautiful! BEAUTIFUL!! If the recipient lady is HALF as georgeous as the piece, you should really deliver it in person!? I'd be happy to be your messenger. :cool: :) I SALUTE YOUR TALENT!! :)

Dale T.

Alan Schaffter
11-27-2004, 9:20 PM
Didn't I see one of those in a "specialty" shop on a side street in Bangkok, Thailand?

All kidding aside, nice work!

Robert Grady
11-27-2004, 9:32 PM
This is the reason I recently joined this forum. Lot of talented and friendly folks here. Although I didn't take you to be one of thse artsy kind of guys. :D

Very nice sculpture Jim

Keith Outten
11-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Very nice work Jim!

Norman Hitt
11-28-2004, 5:13 AM
Jim, your "Talents" never cease to amaze me. As they taught us to say in that "John" Carnagie course for Memory and the Professional Graces, "Absolutely Fantastic"!!!!

I too, would love to see the reaction when your friend opens that box.

Cheers............Norm

Thomas Prondzinski
11-28-2004, 9:12 AM
Jim

Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is something some of us can only dream of making.

Tom

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 10:07 AM
That is something some of us can only dream of making.
Tom, I think you would be surprised at what you can do if you just try...every project you do should have at least one "new" element. Challenge yourself. That's how you learn.

Jay Knoll
11-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Great piece of work Jim, be careful, you're going to have a tent at an art/craft show if you keep that up! Let's see, you can stay in the shop turning out those beauties and Dr. SWMBO can run the sales, then you can buy more equipment with the proceeds and hire on some apprentices to do the "roughing in" while you do the finish work. Soon you'll have outlets like Thomas Kincaid!

Seriously, a wonderful piece, I wish we could see the look of amazement in your friend's eyes when the package is unwrapped.

Jay

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 10:27 AM
Jay...LOL!! I don't think it's going to work out that way...no way am I going to become a starving artist nor take away from my huge enjoyment of woodworking by making it work. But seriously, we were at a local show produced by a friend of mine (who is actually going back into the workforce and getting her Masters...her kids are older and she needs a more steady income to afford them!) and I'm considering doing that one show next fall--it's a great group of real artisans; no schlock. I have a year to build some form of inventory if I decide to do that.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Martin Shupe
11-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Very interesting and artsy, Jim. You should submit this to Woodwork. I am sure your friend will enjoy it immensely.

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Martin, I just got done setting up my "Phrugal Photo Booth" (Separate thread and photos coming of that soon) and am snapping pics for future use...once the gift is given, I will no longer have the opportunity to shoot it since it will be 1200 miles away. (And I don't have a lense that long... :D) I may submit it to various places after the holidays. For now, it's just online at SMC, WWF and WoW--where the future recipient would never go)

nic obie
11-28-2004, 4:17 PM
Jim...

You out did yourself this time. I really like it. It's simple yet elegant.

IMHO that piece would sell.

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

BTW, I'm with you about keeping the 'work' out of woodworking.

Jason Tuinstra
11-28-2004, 5:03 PM
Jim, you're the man! That's a great piece and a great gift idea. Looks like you put a lot of work, effort, and love into this piece. Good for you! I sure your friend will love it.

Charles McKinley
11-28-2004, 7:22 PM
Great work Jim!

It looks like a lot of time and thought went into a wonderful design as well as the creation of this piece. You raised the bar yet again.