PDA

View Full Version : Donut Chuck for Coffee Scoops

Jim Underwood
06-12-2010, 11:43 PM
I did a search for coffee scoops this am, and ran across the donut chuck that Mike Peace made for them. This is my version of the thing.

I created a recess for the chuck on some 3/4 poplar material instead of a tenon. I did make it 1/4 deep or so.

After cutting the parts on the lathe, I had to make a trip down to the hardware store, and spend $2 and change for the bolts and T-nuts.

I'm not sure I know how to make coffee scoops yet, but I have the mandrel for it.

It's tough to see how deep you're hollowing out when it's in the chuck...

I didn't get the lighter colored scoop deep enough, and on the re-turn, I got it thin enough to see light through it... And the darker one still isn't hollowed enough, but I called it a night and came in...

John Keeton
06-13-2010, 6:58 AM
Jim, I wonder if you could use thinner stock on the outer portion, as it looks as though the handle recess is not needed. That might give one a little more working room.

Also, your scoops appear to be turned in two separate turnings - the handle, and bowl. Am I correct?

Both scoops look good from here, BTW!!

Jim Underwood
06-13-2010, 7:41 AM
I'm not sure if you mean by "two different turnings" that you mean there are two pieces, or whether you mean two axis...

In any case, the scoop is all one piece. First you turn between centers the bowl profile (as spherical as you can get it), and then the handle.

Second, you chuck up the bowl, with the handle at an angle in the recess, so as to give the bowl a more pleasing and more functional shape.

You can find Mike's pictures and explanation of this thing here. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=127503)*

*After re-reading Mike's thread, I realized a couple things. He used 1/4 x20 bolts were 2 inches long and I used 2-1/2 inch bolts. He states very clearly that his scoops at 1-3/4 diameter, held about a tablespoon, and I was shooting for two... That's probably why I had a hard time getting a 2 tblsp volume... On the second one, I went to a 2 inch diameter, but I haven't measured the volume yet, so I don't know if it worked or not. On some other thread, I read the the std volume for coffee scoops is 2 tblsp...

John Keeton
06-13-2010, 8:03 AM
Jim, actually I was talking about the handle being inserted in the sphere - couldn't tell from the grain if it was one piece of wood. You have answered that question - all one turning. Thanks!

Jim Underwood
06-13-2010, 8:28 AM
Yeah, I was looking at a couple other coffee scoop threads yesterday, and now it sure seems like it would be easier to make a two piece scoop (like Ruth Niles makes) than to get this type bowl spherical, and then make this chuck.:cool:

Gerold Griffin
06-13-2010, 9:03 AM
Jim: Thanks for sharing that! Personally I like the idea of making it out of one solid piece of wood rather than two and breaking out the glue! Just the idea of one piece makes it seem alot more strudy.

Bernie Weishapl
06-13-2010, 9:50 AM
Thanks for sharing Jim. I have made some like Ruth does which is pretty simple.

Peter Fabricius
06-13-2010, 9:57 AM
Hi Jim;
That is a really neat and safe way to turn scoops. I have seen the process done with a jam chuck custom made for each scoop and always thought it looked unsafe and the scoop could fly out.
I had a discussion by email with Ruth Niles about her style and I tried one. She thought my version was very nice so I am attaching a picture of it to show this group.
thanks
Peter F.

Allen Neighbors
06-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Jim, my sure way to make the depth correct nearly everytime, is to drill into that depth with a chuck mounted in my tailstock.
For instance, I make the ball for all my small (1 Tbsp) scoops 1-3/4" in diameter. Then, when I get it mounted into the chuck, I drill to a depth of 1-5/8", which will (theoretically) leave the walls 1/8" thick. But I always make the final cut to take out a hair more, so my scoop walls are really about a 32d of an inch less...
Since we're on the subject of scoops, I have a short tutorial on how I make mine, and have been making them for about 3 years now. Recently, I watched a Soren Berger video demonstration (Wood Working Channel) of how he makes his. All different sizes. He makes a jam chuck for each one, as he turns it, and he does it quickly.
I tried his method, and broke the last four of five scoops that I turned. Finally, I made a jam chuck for a 4" ball, just like I made my little ones, and haven't broken a one, since.
The 4" scoop, hollowed to 3/16" holds 1 cup full of rice or beans or sugar. I have a little gizmo that I made to size each ball to the proper size.
I'll send you the short tutorial, and you can make a fail-proof chuck for each size scoop, if you like. Just email me. amneighborsATsbcglobalDOTnet

Richard Madison
06-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Nice work Jim. Nice scoops too. If you drill a hole in one, it could be "art" and the other could be "utilitarian".

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Jim - pretty fancy scoops! I like your setup and it sure seems to work well! Thanks for sharing!

Thom Sturgill
06-13-2010, 11:49 AM
I replied earlier, but it seems to have gone to the electronic wonderland! Jim those are great looking scoops. Ruth's are nice, and I think she 'hollows' with a forstner that has the point ground off. That way you can pretty easily get the volume right.

What I am wondering is if you could do two things to the chuck. First drill the handle hole at an angle so that it provides more support and second use a strap or two to hold the handle and eliminate the top plate. That would give better access to gauge the hollowing process. I haven't tried one yet (it's on my 'todo' list if I can ever find that tuit), so I am interested in your thoughts on this (and anyone else that has made some of these).

Jim Underwood
06-13-2010, 1:11 PM
What I am wondering is if you could do two things to the chuck. First drill the handle hole at an angle so that it provides more support and second use a strap or two to hold the handle and eliminate the top plate. That would give better access to gauge the hollowing process. I haven't tried one yet (it's on my 'todo' list if I can ever find that tuit), so I am interested in your thoughts on this (and anyone else that has made some of these).

You probably can't tell it, but I did drill the hole at a slight angle. Not so that it provides more support, but so that I could tilt the bowl a little more.

As for replacing the front plate with a strap, I think that's a great idea that could work. Two questions:
How would the straps fasten on?
How would you tighten them down on the handle?

Jim Underwood
06-13-2010, 1:22 PM
Jim, my sure way to make the depth correct nearly everytime, is to drill into that depth with a chuck mounted in my tailstock.
For instance, I make the ball for all my small (1 Tbsp) scoops 1-3/4" in diameter. Then, when I get it mounted into the chuck, I drill to a depth of 1-5/8", which will (theoretically) leave the walls 1/8" thick. But I always make the final cut to take out a hair more, so my scoop walls are really about a 32d of an inch less...
Thanks for the tip Allen. I'll definitely keep this in mind next time I make some of these.

The 4" scoop, hollowed to 3/16" holds 1 cup full of rice or beans or sugar. I have a little gizmo that I made to size each ball to the proper size.
I'll send you the short tutorial, and you can make a fail-proof chuck for each size scoop, if you like. Just email me. amneighborsATsbcglobalDOTnet

Email sent. Hey does your "gizmo" size the OD or the ID?
How do you know what volume your scoop winds up?

I had an idea about that... I'll post a picture in a minute...

Jim Underwood
06-13-2010, 1:44 PM
Ok, so here's the problem as I see it. If you are hollowing the scoop, especially behind the front plate as on this chuck, you can't really see where the bottom of the scoop is, because it's embedded in the back plate.

As well, unless you've done this a million times, you don't really know how much volume your scoop holds. The only way to tell is to pull it out of the chuck, measure out a powder or liquid in the volume you need, and then dump it into the new scoop to see if it fits...

This approach is fraught with problems, not the least of which is endangerment from the wife's rolling pin, because you just dumped her sugar or flour in your dirty old scoop... and made a mess on the counter or the floor... and dirtied up her measuring spoons and wasted good ingredients. Ok. I'm avoiding that like the plague.:eek:

The other problem is that you don't really want to pull the dang thing out of the chuck every time you want to check the volume do you? Nope...

So here's my idea. Measure out your white powder (it's just flour you guys- I don't have an addiction or a stash!:rolleyes:) in the volume required and use the measuring spoons only ONCE to keep domestic tranquility. Place the measured volume of STUFF into a cheap plastic baggie and seal it up. This will keep the required volume confined, and yet let it conform to the bowl and measure it's volume. You won't need to pull the scoop out of the chuck, and you can measure the volume as many times as you like without being in danger of Death By Rolling Pin. (My wife would never do this, by the way.)

Only problem I can see, is that flour tends to "compress" when you pack it into the space, and it might not be an accurate measurement. Suppose sand might be a better alternative?

Ideas, suggestions, comments?

Thom Sturgill
06-13-2010, 4:34 PM
I was thinking of just drilling a couple of small holes and use cable ties. Use some of those foam sheets for cushioning to prevent the tie from marring the turning and under the handle to cradle it better.

Allen Neighbors
06-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Just thought I'd add something to all this. The original tutorial that I first saw on coffee scoops was a .pdf file that I downloaded from Larry Marley's site. I saw a post of his just a while ago on this forum about his segmented form with the sun and moon that he made for his Dad... His name struck a chord, and that's where I saw the first scoop. His chuck is like the one I use.
Thanks again, Larry. You started it all... :);)

Stephen Walker
06-14-2010, 4:31 AM
Jim,

What if you used the plastic conduit clamps? Wouldn't really need to be for the right diameter, as much as for the right height, then just a couple of screws and it's there.

Steve