PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Sandpaper Disks

Jim Underwood
06-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I promised a fellow creeker I'd put up some pictures of a process I use to cut hook and look sandpaper disks for power sanding.

Here goes...
First ya buy some hook and loop sandpaper in various grits. If you're smart you'll have bought a roll already cut into strips, then all you'll have to do is cut squares off. I wasn't as smart as the average bear and had to cut my own strips...

Once you have your blanks cut out, then you need to make a mandrel thingamajig.
The big part goes in the chuck, the smaller ring goes on the tail stock center. The stacks of sandpaper go in between with the grit facing the headstock side. More on that in a minute.

(Sorry bout the wrong order of photos - is there a way to re-arrange them?)

Jim Underwood
06-12-2010, 11:07 PM
So you chuck up the large piece for a backer to cut against. Then you place the disk on the tailstock center, with enough room to place the stack of sandpaper squares between. Position edges to get the stacks centered.

I cut my paper about 2-1/4 wide, and then cut it down to 2-1/8 circles so I have a little overhang off the sanding pad mandrel. Be sure to place the grit on the headstock side so you're cutting through paper and not the grit. It'll dull the edge in a hurry if you don't.

Also note the I use a cheap skew toe down. You could use anything, even a screwdriver. I'd still sharpen it like a skew though. And use it toe down so that the rotational forces help keep the skew's long point down. Do NOT twist it when cutting as it will tend to skate. Try to keep that edge straight up and down.

Jim Underwood
06-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I was cutting these about 6 at a time, but on the last set, I stacked up 12 of them and cut them all at once. I'm not sure where the limit is yet. But it still beats hammering on a sharpened pipe...

Notice I made sure to label the grit on each of the disks before I bagged them. If you only have one mandrel it gets old trying to figure out what grit and unlabeled disk is.

I hope this helps someone.

Happy sanding!

Norm Zax
06-13-2010, 3:53 AM
original use of a lathe! Well done.

Lionel Mercier
06-13-2010, 4:20 AM
Thanks Jim,
clever !

John Hart
06-13-2010, 7:10 AM
Great idea Jim. This helps me a lot. Normally, I use scissors one at a time....and I hate it!!! I will definitely copy your design. Thanks :)

Jim Underwood
06-13-2010, 7:47 AM
The nice thing about this jiggy thing, is that it works for different sizes. And if you bugger it up, you can always reface it or make another one from scrap... You can see from the screw holes on the face of this that it served another purpose at one time. I forget what I used it for now... Maybe it was that angled glue block...:confused:

William Bachtel
06-13-2010, 8:03 AM
So where do you get the strips of hook and loop from, for those of us who want to order some. I guess I should also ask where to go for the best paper, at the best price, your idea is great, I have used scrissors before to reduce 3 inch to 2 inch. Thanks for the photos and instructions.

Jim Underwood
06-13-2010, 8:23 AM
I bought the large hook and loop sheets from Industrial Abrasives. (http://www.industrialabrasives.com/1-yard-x-1-yard-hook-loop-sheet-01713-p-338.html) My mentor, who must be smarter than I am, buys his strips in rolls from Klingspor. (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/EB4B4B3F/mac/template.mac/loadHtmlPage?htmlPage=home_page.htm)

Here's another place to buy strips. (http://www.stockroomsupply.com/Sanding_Rolls.php) And here's another abrasives company. (http://www.sandpaper.ca/default.php?cPath=173&osCsid=53uc1svodspjk3mvne9qqr1585)

There are probably other outlets for Klingspor, and other suppliers of hook and loop abrasives, but you can take the search from here..

Bernie Weishapl
06-13-2010, 9:53 AM
Great idea Jim. Will definitely use that one.

Dale Bright
06-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Jim that is a great idea and your tutorial is well done. But I have to ask, why not leave them square? I buy the big sheets from Industrial Abrasives and cut them into squares, 1/4" larger than my sanding pads. The corners sticking out act much like the wavy disc design sold at Woodcraft.

Joseph M Lary
06-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks Jim Im going to have to give that one a try, I made up some sanhing things that have a #2MT that I put in to sand off the button on the bottom of my bowls made them all sizes to cover my bases. that will sure help out .:)

Reed Gray
06-13-2010, 12:07 PM
I used to punch mine out. I will admit that I cheated because I had access to a ' Clicker' press which is a small hydraulic punch press. I would use a 3 inch inside diameter piece of pipe, and had 1/16 inch reamed out from the inside and a bevel ground onto the outside, and sharpened a micro bevel on the inside. I would cut from big strips (12 inch)of abrasives that I ordered from Klingspoor. Easy to stack 5 layers thick. If you use 3 inch strips to cut 3 inch discs, you waste a lot of abrasive. Before than, I would use the same cutter, and a 1/2 inch thick piece of plastic, a block of wood on the cutter, and an 8 pound persuader (sledge hammer). It did save some money, but now I just buy them from Vince.

I think Vince does sell sheet stock now.

robo hippy

Allen Neighbors
06-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Jim, that's an awesome answer for a problem that plagues those who cut their own disks... Great mind!! Thanks for sharing.:)

Curt Fuller
06-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Excellent idea Jim!

Tony Pridmore
06-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the tutorial. I've been cutting the large sheets into squares and then if I want them round they get trimmed with scissors after placing them on the sanding pad. I'll be trying this method to cut in bulk and keep a mix hand.

The large sheets are nice because you can cut any size needed and minimize the waste. I've been using the Industrial Abrasives hook & loop paper for about a year. It's good stuff. Service is great too.

-Tony

Jim Underwood
06-13-2010, 1:05 PM
Jim that is a great idea and your tutorial is well done. But I have to ask, why not leave them square? I buy the big sheets from Industrial Abrasives and cut them into squares, 1/4" larger than my sanding pads. The corners sticking out act much like the wavy disc design sold at Woodcraft.

Joe Gettys says the same thing. I tried it, and still prefer the disks, for some reason. I think it's because the disks allow a tighter precision for sanding next to beads and details....

Bob Bergstrom
06-13-2010, 9:55 PM
Here's another way. I use a hole saw with the teeth ground off. To do this, I just chuck the hole saw in my drill and hold it against my grinding wheel on a bevel. This grinds the teeth off and forms a sharp edge with the bevel on the outside. Using a drill press, I can punch them out very quickly. Klingpoor has a box deal on velcro backed rolls $20 for five pounds. Widths vary but still a great deal. I also make my mandrels from using the mandrels that Harbor Freight sells. I really like using the foam from knelling pads. The velcro sheet that Klingpoor sell is the best. Comes with a very sicking backing and the velco is super tuff.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/IMG_2522.jpg

Tim Rinehart
06-14-2010, 8:44 AM
Great tip. I just organized my sanding disks with some bins...was getting tired of rooting thru box for right grit.
I like that idea, super job on instructions. That's definitely easier than 1 at a time.

Jeff Nicol
06-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Jim, I use an old pair of heavy scissors to cut mine out and by them not being prefectly round sometimes they work nice to get into crevices and things. Your method works well though and thanks for the tip.

Jeff

Tamara Brown
06-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Wow...nice idea. the LOML was wondering how to do that as well when I came to his rescue. Scrapbooking (another expensive hobby) has die cut punches. Found a circle one just the right size and now it resides in the shop. But gentlemen, that means you have to enter a craft store!! :eek:

Neil Strong
06-14-2010, 9:48 PM
I use a hole saw with the teeth ground off.

Ditto, Bob.

But, Jim's method looks like it would work equally as well and at minimal cost. Nice solution.

I also prefer the disks for working up against details. Would use squares as well as the disks if I had enough room to store the extra mandrels, but there is a limit to the available realestate within reaching distance around the lathe.

Larry Marley
06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
you guys are very resourceful.
I love it!

Thanks

Mike McAfee
06-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Slick idea Jim, thanks for the tip!

MMc

Wayne Hendrix
06-15-2010, 1:04 AM
Wow I am now feeling bad for buying all the wave stuff from Craft Supplies today. There are some really great ideas here.

John Hart
06-15-2010, 6:40 AM
..... But gentlemen, that means you have to enter a craft store!! :eek:

I like craft stores!!! That's where all the little do-dads and glass thingies are that you can incorporate into your turnings. I gotta be careful though....I spends too much sometimes. :o

Jim Underwood
06-15-2010, 8:41 AM
But gentlemen, that means you have to enter a craft store!! :eek:

No fear here. One of my favorite stores is a local quilt shop. I love to go in a look at all the pretty fabric. It doesn't hurt a bit that they buy my seam presses....:D