View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010 - Robert McGowen

Robert McGowen
06-12-2010, 8:03 PM
I was told that I had to enter this or else......... you know who you are!

Artsy entry is a Red Mallee bowl. I left it kind of thick, as it seemed to fit the piece and gave it a nice heft when you picked it up, but the photos make it look thicker than it really is. 13.5" x 12" x 2.5" Finished with 3 coats of Antique Oil, which left it really smooth to the touch and a bright red color.

Robert McGowen
06-12-2010, 8:11 PM
A mesquite bowl from a tree I cut down and turned. 10" wide x 5" high and kind of thick, but that is the way they seem to sell the best. Finished with 2 coats of Danish Oil. It is kind of an unusual shape for me, but turned out better than I thought that it would.

David E Keller
06-12-2010, 8:14 PM
Nice work on both of them. I particularly like the Aussie burl piece.

John Keeton
06-12-2010, 8:51 PM
Nice job, Robert!! That burl is beautiful! Very nice form, as well. The mesquite bowl very much looks like it should be in a kitchen.

Great entries!

Tom Hamilton
06-12-2010, 8:53 PM
Robert, very nice pieces. Like you I also think a little thicker is better for most bowls that might see some type of use. The M&M's are beautiful pieces.

You surprised me as I understood you were only doing segmented pieces.

Isn't this turning thing an interesting hobby!

Best regards, Tom, in Georgia, really liking Robert's M&Ms.

James Combs
06-12-2010, 9:07 PM
Such beautiful color for the burl. Love it. And the bowl, I would be proud to own it.

Richard Madison
06-12-2010, 9:19 PM
It's very red! Does it keep the bright color long term?

Steve Schlumpf
06-12-2010, 9:25 PM
Robert - very nice work on both pieces!

Have to admit that I was surprised that the art piece wasn't segmented but very pleased with your entry! Sure is some beautiful wood! I like the slightly thicker form on this - just seems to add to the color!

Very nice bowl! It has a soft/warm look to it - probably a combination of wood color and finish - but it sure looks nice!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Toney Robertson
06-12-2010, 9:34 PM
Robert,

Both are very nice but I have to admit that I am a mallee fan so the first one gets my vote.

Toney

Steve Mawson
06-12-2010, 9:46 PM
Very nice on both pieces however the wood for the art piece is outstanding. Someday I would like to find a piece like that to turn. Great entry.

Frank Van Atta
06-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Love that Mallee Burl piece. Never met a piece of Mallee Burl I didn't like, but that one is so red it looks like Coolibah. Great bowl.

Joe Wiliams
06-13-2010, 12:16 AM
MMmmmmm..... I see raspberry meringue:D

charlie knighton
06-13-2010, 4:05 AM
very nice pieces, i am partial to the mesquite and like your slightly thicker pieces

John Hart
06-13-2010, 7:08 AM
Beautiful!!! I love the Red Mallee piece....and anything made of mesquite.

Tony De Masi
06-13-2010, 8:01 AM
Beautiful pieces Robert. That burl is a stunning piece, but am I wrong in thinking I've seen this before?

Also, the Mesquite bowl looks just as good upside down as it does right side up. Very nice form on that one.

Tony

Harvey Ghesser
06-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Love the Red Mallee piece!:D Nice work!

Robert McGowen
06-13-2010, 12:06 PM
That burl is a stunning piece, but am I wrong in thinking I've seen this before?
Tony

Once a cop, always a cop :D....... This is the one that you are thinking about. I just turned the art entry last week.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131648&highlight=mallee+burl+bowl

You surprised me as I understood you were only doing segmented pieces.

Have to admit that I was surprised that the art piece wasn't segmented

I prefer to think of it as a segmented piece with just ONE really big segment......... Actually, retirement has been so busy that I have not had the time to do a segmented piece of any size lately. (You retired people know what I mean!)

Mark Hubl
06-13-2010, 1:32 PM
Very nice work. The burl is just fun to look at over and over.

Roland Martin
06-13-2010, 7:39 PM
That is a great looking piece of mallee burl and a nice form. I also like the mesquite bowl, a different shape than usually seen and works well.
Thanks for posting Robert.

Mark Burge
06-13-2010, 9:12 PM
Great job on both. The burl is absolutely beautiful. I also like the utility piece. That is a great thought on segmented work. I might like segmented work where the joinery approaches zero! I say approaches because the only joinery I've done lately has been gluing explosions back together :)