PDA

View Full Version : Any Metallica fans around here? Look what I got!! -Gloat w/pics

Dan Mages
11-27-2004, 6:05 PM
I picked up a very rare Metallica Box set apply named Metallica Vinyl Box. It has their first four albums (Kill'em All, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and ...Justice for All), the Creeping Death picture disk single, and the Garage Days Revisited. They are pressed on 180 gram audiophile grade vinyl and have new gatefold jackets. There are only 5,000 copies available... and I have two of them!! I have been listening to them this afternoon. They did a stunning job mixing this release. I paid $100 each for these sets and they are now going on ebay for $300+!! The one you see here is number 1280 of 5000.

Dan

Charles McKinley
11-28-2004, 7:58 PM
Cool!,

Do you have Apocoliptica (sp)? It is Metalica played on four cellos.

Dan Mages
11-29-2004, 7:49 AM
Cool!,

Do you have Apocoliptica (sp)? It is Metalica played on four cellos.
Of course! Apocalyptica does an amazing job covering their songs. If you like them, then you should check out Kashmir, Symphonic Led Zeppelin. It is Led Zeppelin (duh?) performed by the London Philharmonic. There is also Hayseed Dixie who hillbilly bluegrass covers AC/DC, Kiss, etc...

Dan

John Miliunas
11-29-2004, 7:55 AM
Dan, shot and a score! :D CD's are great, but music on vinyl still has a certain "feel" to it, that many kids today will never know. :( So, what turntable/cartridge combo are you running on your system? :cool:

Keith Starosta
11-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Very cool, Dan!! That is an awesome find!!! Enjoy that music...

Keith

Dan Mages
11-29-2004, 11:13 AM
I am using a Harmon Kardon HK720 record player from the early 80's. I got it for free from a nieghbor of mine. I am using a Signet cartridge/needle that is seeing end of its days.

Dan

Donnie Raines
11-29-2004, 12:25 PM
For the record: I was a fan until they cut their hair off and started making "radio acceptable" stuff. I prefer the old ride the lightning and garage days over this new stuff. Then again, I really like hard metal....not just rock and roll.... :cool:

John Miliunas
11-29-2004, 1:41 PM
For the record: I was a fan until they cut their hair off and started making "radio acceptable" stuff. I prefer the old ride the lightning and garage days over this new stuff. Then again, I really like hard metal....not just rock and roll.... :cool:

Ahhhhh...Donnie, we're several states apart, but me thinks we may be cut from the same cloth! :) Here's one for 'ya: Favorite group of ALL TIME? I'm talking today, yesterday and well into the future! For me, it's a no-brainer: Rush! I don't believe there's another band around, who can produce as much quality music, on or off the stage and do it with only three guys! :D :cool:

Donnie Raines
11-29-2004, 1:50 PM
Ahhhhh...Donnie, we're several states apart, but me thinks we may be cut from the same cloth! :) Here's one for 'ya: Favorite group of ALL TIME? I'm talking today, yesterday and well into the future! For me, it's a no-brainer: Rush! I don't believe there's another band around, who can produce as much quality music, on or off the stage and do it with only three guys! :D :cool:
Maybe......maybe........

I like a little bit of everything actually.Now heres a big shocker for the board....my favorite heavy metal group is Deicide(I like the music...not the words...) but I sing opera......I do weddings and things like that from time to time....though it has been a while. Now, if you know who Deicide is...we are indeed cut from the same cloth.... :cool: :D

John Miliunas
11-29-2004, 1:55 PM
Maybe......maybe........

I like a little bit of everything actually.Now heres a big shocker for the board....my favorite heavy metal group is Deicide(I like the music...not the words...) but I sing opera......I do weddings and things like that from time to time....though it has been a while. Now, if you know who Deicide is...we are indeed cut from the same cloth.... :cool: :D

Opera?! :eek: Yikes! Never quite got the hang of that! Now, I don't know who "Deicide" is, but here's another little-known factoid: You know how most folks think of heavy metal band members being a bunch of zero's, who only know how to slam on guitars & drums while screaming? Well, one of today's "heaviest" is "Disturbed". The main man in that band holds FOUR Masters' degrees! :D :) :cool:

Donnie Raines
11-29-2004, 2:07 PM
Yep....its one of those "almost double standards" if you would. dont get me wrong...I am sure that some of them are real idiots....but not all. Sometimes it easy to paint with a broad brush. I love it all...except for rap and big band.

I hope Metallica come's out with another heavy CD..or album... :cool:

Dan Mages
11-29-2004, 2:31 PM
Donnie. Have you checked out their last one? It was quite heavy compared to their earlier works. The songs are also not very radio friendly at an average of 5-9 minutes in length. And yes, I do have that one on vinyl as well. ;)

John. What turntable do you have?

Jim Becker
11-29-2004, 2:32 PM
The main man in that band holds FOUR Masters' degrees!
Not surprising to me...music is like math in many ways and the level of intellegence required to write and perform is often extraordinary. Music today is even harder as you not only need tallent, you need smarts, including business sense.

Donnie Raines
11-29-2004, 2:48 PM
Donnie. Have you checked out their last one? It was quite heavy compared to their earlier works. The songs are also not very radio friendly at an average of 5-9 minutes in length. And yes, I do have that one on vinyl as well. ;)

I guess your talking about St. Anger?....if so I did. It was harder when compared to some of their more recent stuff...but nothing like their early 80's stuff.

if you go over to Borders.com and type in Deicide or Vader....you will see why I call Metallica's new stuff "soft"..... :D

John Miliunas
11-29-2004, 2:49 PM

Grrrr...You WOULD have to ask me that when I'm 50 miles away from the unit! :rolleyes: I think it's an SL-D2, if I'm not mistaken. Used to be a very solid table, though right now, it's still in the moving box from when we relocated. Still need to build an ET, so that I can get all the gear back up and running. Got the stereo in the shop going, but don't think a TT would be good in there! :)

Chris Padilla
11-29-2004, 4:27 PM
They had a kid on 60 Minutes last night who is supposedly the next kid Mozart. He has written 5 symphonies at the age of 12...says he can just hear the music in his head and just writes it down--correctly--the first time. Pretty amazing.

I have to admit that I didn't think much of his talent...wasn't like he was doing complex math or physics but maybe that is next when he bores of music.... :)

James Giordano
11-30-2004, 5:22 AM
Donnie,
I don't think much of mettallica after master of puppets.Whoever made that boxed set seems to agree with me. I caught their show on that tour, they opened for Ozzy. Seems like they became "artists" or something after the Bassist died. What was up with that Sandman song?:( Did you ever hear any of their stuff way back when metallica and megedeth were the same band? Before they split up into separate entities? Pretty rough stuff, poorly produced.
I've heard some deicide, I probrably even have some somewhere. They are your typical thrash death metal kind of stuff, gotta love that. Like you, I also love every kind of music. In my collection you will find everything from Johnny Cash to Johnny Vomit. Have you heard Chimaira or Mindless self Indulgence? You should check them out.

Donnie Raines
11-30-2004, 9:23 AM
I cant say I have heard any of the really old stuff...in fact..I did not know they were "related" to Megadeath.

I have heard Chimira...I like them but do not have any of the CD's.

Dan Mages
11-30-2004, 9:30 AM
Yesterday, I got a box from New Jersey with box set # 2. I also picked up The Hives and Velvet Revolver. :D My house will be rockin tonight!

Dan

James Giordano
11-30-2004, 2:30 PM
Yep, It seems that Dave Mustaine and the Mettallica guy(I can't think of his name right now) had "artistic" differences or something(I think they just both wanted to be the frontman) and Dave went and formed Megedeth.

In fact if you get the chance you will notice that Mettallicas "The Four Horseman" and Megadeths "Mechanix" are the same song with different lyrics.

I only know this stuff because I had nothing better to do when I was a teen.:D

James Giordano
11-30-2004, 2:42 PM
Dan, I really like the Hives, In fact I have a video playing right now--"Walk idiot walk" . If you do a google it's the first link. To me they are like a cross between the New york Dolls ( or the Sex Pistols) and the Rolling stones.How could you not love it?:D

Just went to velvet Revolver site http://www.velvetrevolver.com/index.php Ill have to check out more of them.