PDA

View Full Version : Lasersketch "Marble" engraved Photos

Larry Bratton
06-12-2010, 5:27 PM
I bought some of the stuff that Lasersketch calls Absolute Black Marble. However, since I had read here that it is most likely not marble, I put it to the acid test. I put pure vinegar on a piece and it had absolutely no effect. I tried the same test on some stone I know to be marble and sure enough, the acid left a nasty blotch on it.
However, I am not complaining though. This material is some kind of granite and it engraves beautifully. I engraved these pieces at 50s/35p at 300dpi processed with Photograv 3.0 using the generic Black Marble parameter. These photos, due to my crappy lighting do not do the engravings justice. The subjects are just of people and a dog I downloaded from the internet. I did preprocess them some in Photoshop.

Frank Corker
06-12-2010, 6:06 PM
Nice job Larry, I'm sure that they will go down well with the people who receive them.

Larry Bratton
06-12-2010, 6:10 PM
Hehehe..yep..Frank they are just samples to show as examples. Maybe I'll send David the one I did of him...he would probably want to send me to Afghanistan !!!! :)

Dee Gallo
06-12-2010, 7:10 PM
Nice samples, Larry! They should impress your potential customers.

So I wonder what the material is, since those are more marble-type settings, not granite, according to my records. But your acid test shows granite, eh? Very interesting, especially since I have never used LaserSketch marble.

cheers, dee

Larry Bratton
06-12-2010, 7:26 PM
Nice samples, Larry! They should impress your potential customers.

So I wonder what the material is, since those are more marble-type settings, not granite, according to my records. But your acid test shows granite, eh? Very interesting, especially since I have never used LaserSketch marble.

cheers, dee
Yes Dee, and that is what's strange. This material definitely isn't marble though, if the test with the acid is the test. I tried several settings including what I would normally do for granite..100s/35p and I got better results on it with the slower speed as I indicated. It is absolutely black with no veining or anything like marble. I also got some of what they call Absolute Black granite and this material here looks better all around.

Scott Shepherd
06-13-2010, 9:41 AM
I was doing some work with a guy that sells granite for a living, engraving some stuff in granite for him. I showed him a piece that they call "Marble", and he picked it up and said "that's not marble, it's granite". I told him it was marketed as being marble and he said he didn't care what it was marketed as, it was granite. I figured if anyone would know granite, it would be the guy that sold granite for a living, so I always figured it was just a fine grain granite.

Larry Bratton
06-13-2010, 10:10 AM
I was doing some work with a guy that sells granite for a living, engraving some stuff in granite for him. I showed him a piece that they call "Marble", and he picked it up and said "that's not marble, it's granite". I told him it was marketed as being marble and he said he didn't care what it was marketed as, it was granite. I figured if anyone would know granite, it would be the guy that sold granite for a living, so I always figured it was just a fine grain granite.
Steve
Well, that being the case, it's a bargain. I like it a lot more than the stuff they call the new MB Granite (whatever that means) The idea that is being sold with that product is that it engraves like marble. I was disappointed in it compared to the so called "marble".

Scott Shepherd
06-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Larry, don't think I'm bashing it at all. I think it's a good product. My only issue with it was that I had a job to do that required black marble and I bought all I could locally, and couldn't wait for them to bring in more. So I ordered a piece from them, used the same marble settings I had been using for marble, and it blew it out completely, like granite. Had I known it was granite, I wouldn't have ordered it at that time.

If I were looking for granite, a tight grain granite that engraves well, that would be my first choice. It's nice stuff, just not what it's advertised to be, name wise.

Larry Bratton
06-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Larry, don't think I'm bashing it at all. I think it's a good product. My only issue with it was that I had a job to do that required black marble and I bought all I could locally, and couldn't wait for them to bring in more. So I ordered a piece from them, used the same marble settings I had been using for marble, and it blew it out completely, like granite. Had I known it was granite, I wouldn't have ordered it at that time.

If I were looking for granite, a tight grain granite that engraves well, that would be my first choice. It's nice stuff, just not what it's advertised to be, name wise.
Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply that..if I did I apologize. That is valuable input. I just wonder why Lasersketch is marketing the product as marble when it actually isn't. I'm not beating up on Lasersketch either, but they should represent it correctly.