PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on buying or building a drill press table

Louis Brandt
06-12-2010, 5:09 PM
Hello,

I have a 10 inch benchtop drill press, and I’d like to have a table for it. I’d like the table to have some of the “fancy” options with slots, etc. Most of the ones that I’ve seen advertised don’t seem to be able to fit anything smaller than a 12 inch press. I did see a table from Rockler for about $99 that’s advertised to fit a 10 inch press, but most of the reviews that I read on it suggested that it wasn’t very well built.

So, do any of you know of a quality “already built” drill press table that will fit my 10 inch press? And if not, do you know of a place where I can get a set of plans for one that has the “fancy” options. I’d like to have something that really looks good, as well as something that functions well.

Thanks,
Louis

Steve Bracken
06-12-2010, 5:19 PM
Hello,

I have a 10 inch benchtop drill press, and I’d like to have a table for it. I’d like the table to have some of the “fancy” options with slots, etc. Most of the ones that I’ve seen advertised don’t seem to be able to fit anything smaller than a 12 inch press. I did see a table from Rockler for about $99 that’s advertised to fit a 10 inch press, but most of the reviews that I read on it suggested that it wasn’t very well built.

So, do any of you know of a quality “already built” drill press table that will fit my 10 inch press? And if not, do you know of a place where I can get a set of plans for one that has the “fancy” options. I’d like to have something that really looks good, as well as something that functions well.

Thanks,
Louis

It's a simple job to make one.

Laminate a 3/4" Plywood or MDF board. Then rout as for a router table, giving a holddown track at the front, and choose a fence system or make your own. Mine clamps to the DP table with two C-Clamps at the back, and works just fine. I could also clamp it down using the slots in the original DP table, but haven't ever needed to.

I only remove it if I want to use the Mortising attachment.

If you make your own you get what you want, and don't have to compromise your needs with what someone else thinks you need.

Pat O'malley
06-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Hey Louis, if you PM me a e-mail I'll send you the Shop Notes plans that fellow Creeker Tom V. sent to me...Pat

Louis Brandt
06-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey Louis, if you PM me a e-mail I'll send you the Shop Notes plans that fellow Creeker Tom V. sent to me...Pat

PM sent, Thanks