PDA

View Full Version : Follow up on Rockler Box Joint Jig

Bill Huber
06-12-2010, 1:09 PM
I have made 3 different boxes with it now and have a few things that I have found that you really need to watch when using it.

1. The fence does have slop in it and you need to make sure you bis it to one side, I use the right side all the time. This is the side the bit wants to pull the wood to anyway.

2. The fence can rocks some and if you are not cutting your slots very deep they may not seat correctly. They can also not be square, that is if the fence rocks back a little then the bottom of the slot will not be square to the face and you will see an open line on that joint.

3. Saw dust will get in the slots for the fence and will limit it's travel, you will see this very fast when the cut does not go all the way though and will not set down on the pin for the next cut. It is just something to watch for and will save a little time if you keep it cleaned out.

4. You need some sand paper or some nonslip surface on your sacrificial fence. I use the 3M tape which works very well. A clamp is a really good thing to have also, I just use a Quick Clamp.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xp3/R-100132176/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

5. It is best to clamp the board to the fence when you can.

6. Make the cuts slow, don't try and push the wood though the bit to fast.

I still like the little jig, its not worth the $80 they want for it but I do think it was worth the $50 on special.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25122&filter=Rockler%20Outlet

I don't have to change blades on the table saw and I don't have to get out the big PC dove tail jig to make a quick box joint. It is only for small boxes but that is what I make most of the time anyway.

I do think looking at the jig and seeing how it is set up I could have made one without to much of a problem.

2 Miter slot adapters = $20
2 Knobs = $4
MDF = Scrap, maybe $5 if you have to buy it.
2 hours of work = ????

Jim Rimmer
06-12-2010, 8:44 PM
Thanks for the post. I had thought about the jig but just didn't see the value. I may try to make one for the RT. I have made some box joints on the TS with a dado blade so I understand the technique, now just need to try to make a jig. One more thing on the list.