PDA

View Full Version : 8" BENCH GRINDERS

joe zarnitz
11-27-2004, 4:35 PM
Looking For Reccomendations For Use To Sharpen Lathe Tools----tks,joe

Jim Becker
11-27-2004, 4:39 PM
Woodcraft has a great value on an 8" 1725 RPM grinder that already comes with white AO wheels. Around a hundred bucks or less...

Kent Cori
11-27-2004, 6:10 PM
I was in the Jacksonville, FL Woodcraft this afternoon and they had them on sale for 10% off.

Robert Grady
11-27-2004, 9:43 PM
Yesterday I bought the Delta 8" VS grinder at Lowes.It s 129.00 and they are have a 30.00 mail in rebate right now. It is a sweet grinder and will spin from 1725 to 3450 rpm. Runs smooth and quiet. Comes with 60 grit and 80 grit wheels. I set it up with a Wolverine jig with the vari-grind attachment. I think this is the easiest jig to use and the vari-grind lets you do ellsworth grinds with ease.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Two finds today.

Woodcrafts new flyer has their 8" slow speed grinder for 74.99 till 12/31/04

HD has a 6" VS 2000-3450 W/ lamp for about 70.00. Much lighter duty than the Woodcraft offering.

Bruce

Glenn Hodges
11-28-2004, 8:55 AM
Joe, I have been using the Woodcraft grinder for about 5 years, no problem.

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 9:22 AM
One of reasons that the Woodcraft setup is a great value is that it already comes with the correct wheels for sharpening turning tools. (Which can cost as much as $50 or more to retrofit) Many bench grinders come with grey wheels which while functional for mower blades and the like are too hard for delicate sharpening. You really want the white, pink or blue AO wheels for this purpose so consider the cost of aquiring them if they do not come with your grinder.

Carl Eyman
11-28-2004, 10:11 AM
I have the Woodcraft/wolverine combo. Very satisfied. But I have a problem grinding a skew turning tool. The flat platform tool rest of the wolverine is too deep (dimension from edge nearest wheel to edge nearest operator) for the length of blade of the skew. Hence I cannot angle the skew properly. The ferrule doesn't permit the blade to lay flat on the platform. Anybody got any ideas?

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Carl, for the skew, the Wolverine Skew attachment for the long arm is the way to go. It also sounds like your skews have rather short "business ends" if your ferule is hitting the flat rest. One solution would be to notch the rest so it surrounds the stone...I've seen this done a number of times (and am considering it myself) to make it easier to accomodate shorter cutting tools.

Carl Eyman
11-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Do you grind your skews with a curve from toe to heel as some experts advise, or do you grind it on a straight line? I've recently been trying the curved line. While I have no idea how much curve is best I have found the skew catches far less often. I've forgotten the name of the guru that use a curve.

Jim Becker
11-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Carl, I pretty much do not use the skew, but the two that I have are ground with a radius. They are long enough that I could use the Wolverine rest. BTW, not all the "experts" advocate the radused skew grind...it's a matter of personal preference. Both formats have their advantages. In fact, honing a straight grind is easier than on the radiused tool and with the skew, honing is something you want to do more than going back to the grinder. (I have to do that as my two skews are cheap carbon steel and easily can be destroyed from heat at the grinder)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-28-2004, 1:51 PM
As you all know, I believe, the skew is one of the trickiest tools we use.

I have ground mine on the front of the wheel, but lately, I have changed to the side of the wheel. That way I don't get the cupping on the bevel. It lets me "RUB" ths wood more with less catches when working and it is much easier to hone.

A CAVIOT - A light touch is not only best, it is the SAFEST, as the wheels are not rated for use on the side. They could break.

Bruce

BTW - I'm replacing my old grinder with the Woodcraft unit and a Wolverine setup. Christmas is GOOD! HeHE

Carl Eyman
11-28-2004, 3:35 PM
I think you are right to keep bevel flat. Since my post above complaining I couldn't get the skew on the Wolverine plate, I've been down to the shop and found two things: #1. If I modified the tiny plate that came with the Woodcraft grinder, I could replace the plate from the Wolverine with the modified small one and it would give me the clearance needed to angle the tool to the wheel. The only modification was to bore out a hole from 1/4" to 3/8. #2 I read my turning book by Mike Dunbar and he says they shoild not be hollow ground. My other turning book by Conover insists the line from toe to heel should be straight,m while another author (name begins with "R" I think) swears by an arc.

Now, hot off the press! I see thr Dec issue of FWW reviews a video on the skew chisel. I may hve to get Santa involved with that.