PDA

View Full Version : Almost finished with the vacuum system

Ray Bell
06-12-2010, 1:07 PM
I have this installed as far as I can go until I get my lathe parts back from repair. I wanted to keep this as compact and uncomplicated as possible. I opted to not use the small filter pump just to get rid of as many possible leak joints as possible. So, I mounted the pump, and 8" filter on the bench backboard, ran the tubing to a mast mounted just behind the headstock, this was a Tom Steyer idea. The manifold with valve, and gauge is mounted on the mast. This will make it very convenient to hold the bowl, and operate the valve at the same time. The tubing then runs to the vacuum adapter. Can't wait until I get to try this.

So if you are looking for a one stop, buy everything at once vacuum system, and don't want to shop all around for different parts, at a reasonable price, you can't go wrong buying this system from JTTurningTools. All of the components are very well machined, and the customer service is excellent. I sent Tom several messages which were promptly answered and called him once. He is very helpful, and a pleasant person to talk to. Also pictured is the off-set tool rest that I bought at the same time. Like everything else from Tom, it is well made.

Jerry Pittman
06-12-2010, 1:25 PM
Ray
+1 on everything you said about the JT Turning stuff.
I already had a pump and the gauge, valve filter, etc but I upgraded to his handwheel, vacuum adapter and vac. chuck hub. I want his hollowing tool rest and the 'Down 'n Out' tailstock management unit since I'm really tired of lugging the tailstock around.
Jerry

Steve Schlumpf
06-12-2010, 1:54 PM
Ray - congrats on getting your system put together! Do have one question for you... Do you turn any green wood? Just curious as, and it may be the angle of the photo, but it looks like your pump assembly is right in the line of fire of flying sap.

Looking forward to hearing how you like the system once everything is up and running!

Peter Fabricius
06-12-2010, 1:59 PM
Hi Ray;
I notice your DVR XP is being repaired. Could you please describe what happened and what is being done to fix it. I have the XP as well and have had some new parts insalled as well...
thanks
Peter F. Nice vacuum set up.....

Ray Bell
06-12-2010, 2:02 PM
Ray - congrats on getting your system put together! Do have one question for you... Do you turn any green wood? Just curious as, and it may be the angle of the photo, but it looks like your pump assembly is right in the line of fire of flying sap.

Looking forward to hearing how you like the system once everything is up and running!

Hi Steve, actually I am not turning green or dry right now:(, but you are right it will be in the line of fire. I left the lip on the pump bracket with the intention of mounting a lexan, chip shield to protect the pump. Just haven't gotten it cut yet.

bob svoboda
06-12-2010, 2:13 PM
Looks great Ray...Nice job. I totally agree with the comments about JT Turning and Tom Steyer. Hope your lathe is back together soon!

Ray Bell
06-12-2010, 2:27 PM
Hi Ray;
I notice your DVR XP is being repaired. Could you please describe what happened and what is being done to fix it. I have the XP as well and have had some new parts insalled as well...
thanks
Peter F. Nice vacuum set up.....

Hi Peter,

The lathe would shut down at the slight catch, and I would get a "low voltage" message. I would then have to shut off the lathe and restart it to get it going again, very aggravating. Supposedly this problem was fixed with the newer model, but mine is a newer model:confused: I sent the circuit board, the control plate, and the cover plate to Tim Giest. He told me that sometimes this problem can be fixed by converting the lathe to 220V, so he is going to do that, plus check everything else out. I called him yesterday, and he is going to ship it all back Monday, fixed I hope.

Peter Fabricius
06-12-2010, 2:47 PM
Hi again Ray;
That is facinating because that is exactly what was happening to mine. I bought it in Dec 09 and installed it in Jan 2010. I have roughed out a number of pieces that were out of round and some with knots. I am careful with the tools and do not get too many catches but, with the NEW XP it would shut down with the low voltage message at the slightest bump.
So, I talked to Tim and he sent me a new control board and the red cover plate. I had a big set of coils attached to my red cover plate and the new one does not have this. I installed the new control board and the cover last week and the unit runs ok. I have not yet tried to rough out a piece yet because I now have another issue. The LED read out screen goes blank after a few seconds of running so I cannot see anything.
I have sent an e-mail to Tim asking about this and he has not yet let me know if I should do something else... He was away from his office this past week.
I am hoping it is just the new capacitors that are taking a little time to get warmed up. ???
I have not yet sent the original parts back to him so I can always go back.
Hope your parts arrive very soon. It is an interesting process to replace the control board.
Peter F.

Ray Bell
06-12-2010, 3:08 PM
Hi again Ray;
That is facinating because that is exactly what was happening to mine. I bought it in Dec 09 and installed it in Jan 2010. I have roughed out a number of pieces that were out of round and some with knots. I am careful with the tools and do not get too many catches but, with the NEW XP it would shut down with the low voltage message at the slightest bump.
So, I talked to Tim and he sent me a new control board and the red cover plate. I had a big set of coils attached to my red cover plate and the new one does not have this. I installed the new control board and the cover last week and the unit runs ok. I have not yet tried to rough out a piece yet because I now have another issue. The LED read out screen goes blank after a few seconds of running so I cannot see anything.
I have sent an e-mail to Tim asking about this and he has not yet let me know if I should do something else... He was away from his office this past week.
I am hoping it is just the new capacitors that are taking a little time to get warmed up. ???
I have not yet sent the original parts back to him so I can always go back.
Hope your parts arrive very soon. It is an interesting process to replace the control board.
Peter F.

Acck, Peter, sorry you are still having troubles after the "repair". I purchased this late in Jan 10, and it actually has very few hours on it. My cover plate did not have the coils on the inside, as supposedly this was part of the problem and it was fixed, but obviously not. I'm not sure what the warranty coverage is, but if this still gives me problems after the parts get back, I am going to find out. I will return it, and buy the PM.

Paul Douglass
06-12-2010, 3:23 PM
Ray a PM is not going to fit on that nice cabinet you have there!

Ray Bell
06-12-2010, 5:35 PM
I have thought about that Paul. I would have to give the bench up.

Paul Douglass
06-12-2010, 9:16 PM
You buy a PM, I'll get the oneway! (My fingers are crossed behind my back.)