PDA

View Full Version : Good Rust Hunt

George Sanders
06-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Went on a rust hunt this morning. Picked up a pristine Yankee drill with bits for (drum roll please) $3. Got a chain drill minus the chain for the same price. Then I found three socket head chisels taped together and the guy said I could have them if I bought the tray with all the sundry and assorted drill bits and stuff. Price, $5. Best find I think is the little Disston backsaw 16tpi for $.50 and a Disston 4 1/2 tpi rip saw for $1. I gave $3 for a Stanley smoothing plane and three exta front knobs. It is missing the blade and chipbreaker but it is in really good shape and one of the knobs has the screw in it. The second pic is a new one on me. These are stamped Russel Jennings. I have never seen this type of wood bit before.

george wilson
06-12-2010, 1:29 PM
The drills with the same size shank were probably made to fit into a machine that had a 1/2" hole with a set screw for a chuck. Some old machines skimped on chucks that way.

I wish I had that plane. I'd make it into an infill plane like Derek Cohen did. I found one,but it has a narrower blade. Derek said it was a #3. I'm not real happy with the narrower blade for an infill.

George Sanders
06-12-2010, 2:29 PM
Something I didn't post was a tub full of lathe chucks. Two of them are morse taper and I can now drill on my lathe. There were several of the tool holders you described included with them. These cost me a buck.

harry strasil
06-12-2010, 8:53 PM
Looks like ya got some Cab mounts too. LOL

Steve Southwood
06-13-2010, 7:53 AM
The bits with the 1/2 shank are for a boring machine, found in most wood factorys. I ran one for 3 years. Got a couple scars to prove it. Very good bits and hard too. Good score on the whole lot.

George Sanders
06-13-2010, 8:31 AM
I cleaned up the morse taper chucks and the #1 fits my old Craftsman lathe. I forgot to mention that the paper with the Yankee bits has the instructions on the back.