PDA

View Full Version : What do you think -

Bud Millis
06-12-2010, 1:09 AM
I'm looking for a lathe. Just something I can turn some period furinture parts on. Thinking about the G0462 Wood Lathe by Grizzly. At this time and in the next several years, I have no desire to turn bowls or plates, vases, etc.

Thoughts, comments, questions, or suggestions are welcomed. The other threads seem to be very.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2010, 1:25 AM
Talk to John Keeton before proceeding.

Start with this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119427

and read some of the other threads that John started after it.................

Keep in mind he has upgraded from his HF lathe once already and yes...he turns exquisite bowls and HFs now......and like you he didn't think he would......

This vortex is a temptress.......she takes no prisoners, shows no mercy and the wallet suffers every time.

John Keeton
06-12-2010, 7:31 AM
I'm looking for a lathe. Just something I can turn some period furinture parts on. Thinking about the G0462 Wood Lathe by Grizzly. At this time and in the next several years, I have no desire to turn bowls or plates, vases, etc. Another unsuspecting, innocent victim - walking blindly into the vortex!!

Bud, this is nearly a repeat of that infamous statement I made just a few short months ago!! And, trust me, these guys have not let me forget saying it!!:o

IF....and, I say that with a hard to control chuckle....IF, you are only going to do spindle turning for furniture, and want to get by as cheaply as possible, the HF 34706 is a great little lathe for the money.

But, in all truthfulness, no matter how strongly you feel about that restricted use, like Ken says, the vortex is irresistible. You CANNOT withstand the pull to do things other than furniture parts.:D;)

Don Alexander
06-12-2010, 10:39 AM
and he ain't kidding :D