PDA

View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010 - Scott Hackler

Scott Hackler
06-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Well here we go... finally. The art piece is a wall hanger called "Circular Explosion" or "Ouch at 2000rpm"! (i.e., it didnt start out in this particular form!) :)
Maple, Padauk and Walnut. About 10" dia Antique Oil and Lacquer finish.

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/round.jpg

The utility piece is a simple bowl form about 10" dia. Siberian elm finished in 3 coats of antique oil.

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/utility1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/utility2.jpg

David E Keller
06-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Nice work, Scott. I like the deconstructed wall hanging, and the elm bowl is nice as well.

Steve Schlumpf
06-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Nice work on both items Scott!

Interesting design to your wall art! Really like the Elm bowl - great form and I especially like the softened rim.

Thanks for sharing!

charlie knighton
06-12-2010, 1:51 AM
very nice, Scott, i like the elm bowl the best

John Keeton
06-12-2010, 7:16 AM
Nice work Scott! When I have had those "circular explosions" the fragments aren't nearly as attractive!!:D I guess glue lines would help a little! Nice interpretive work.

The elm bowl has a really nice, soft, touchable look to it. Well done!

John Hart
06-12-2010, 7:26 AM
Normally...I don't go for the "modern art" kinda stuff...but your "explosion" is an exception. I would definitely put that on my wall. I like it a lot. :)

Curt Fuller
06-12-2010, 9:33 AM
I really like the "Circular Explosion". If I'm understanding your explanation correctly you could have called it "duck and cover" also. The siberian elm bowl is nice too. Very utilitarian and still very pretty.

Frank Van Atta
06-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Very interesting reconstruction. Looks like you found all the pieces :D, something I can never seem to manage. :eek:

Tony De Masi
06-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Very nicw work Scott. I've got to hand it to you guys who can really think outside the normal turning box.

Very well done.

Tony

Matt Hutchinson
06-12-2010, 6:55 PM
Cool stuff.......very cool. I don't know what "design opportunities" you may have had with the wall hanging, but I think it's pretty sweet!

Keep up the great work!

Hutch

Richard Madison
06-12-2010, 9:34 PM
+1 what they said. Nice work Scott.

Steve Mawson
06-12-2010, 9:43 PM
Great job on the wall hanging. That is something that I would want to hang in my office. Well done.

Toney Robertson
06-13-2010, 9:33 AM
That is a great job of making lemonade out of lemons.

Taking a wasted piece and making art out of it is inspired.

Toney

Mark Hubl
06-13-2010, 1:33 PM
Nicely played on the art piece. Good save! Like them both.

Roland Martin
06-13-2010, 7:27 PM
Great job on the wall art Scott, even in it's unanticipated state, adds a bit more interest.
Your elm utility bowl certainly has a very smooth flow to it, nice work.
Thanks for posting.

Scott Hackler
06-13-2010, 7:55 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Scott

Mark Burge
06-13-2010, 8:59 PM
Nice work. My explosions don't usually look so stylish :) I like the lines that cut across the piece as a complement to the radiating lines. The other bowl is nice too. Very utilitarian looking.

Tim Rinehart
06-14-2010, 8:51 AM
Scott,
I like what you did with the segmented piece, whether a 'design opportunity' or intentional from beginning. I like it very well, as I do the tooling inside.

The bowl, with softened edge, is well done also. Does this wood actually come from Siberia, or is it a domestic wood that originated from Siberia...?? Never heard of it, but that's not saying alot, I'm no tree expert. The grain definitely looks elm-ish though.

Harvey Ghesser
06-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Just wanted to echo the compliments of others, Scott...very nicely done on both!:)

Scott Hackler
06-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Scott,
I like what you did with the segmented piece, whether a 'design opportunity' or intentional from beginning. I like it very well, as I do the tooling inside.

The bowl, with softened edge, is well done also. Does this wood actually come from Siberia, or is it a domestic wood that originated from Siberia...?? Never heard of it, but that's not saying alot, I'm no tree expert. The grain definitely looks elm-ish though.

Tim, believe me when I say that the "explosion" part of the art piece, was not intended to be that way! For about 2 weeks I had a nasty bruise on my arm from the incident.

As far as the elm. I salvaged a nice big log from the local limb dump a long time ago and it sat out in the yard, exposed to the elements, for 2-3 months and one day I decided to chop it up. To my surprize it turned like a dream and looked kinda like walnut when dry. I posted a picture because I knew it wasnt walnut but had no idea what it was. The experts, here, ID'd it as Siberian Elm. Its a domestic tree that is local to our area. It isnt anything like regular elm at all. The growth ring are pretty far apart and after sanding you can feel the edges of the rings.

Now when I manage to "score" another chuck of this wood, (now that I can recognize it) thats what I label it. Maybe someone else around here can tell you more about Siberian Elm. If you can get a hold of some, get it. But beware, the end gain is a pain to get sanded smooth and it does have flex when you get thin.