PDA

View Full Version : Detail rips on bandsaw & Misc. pieces

Dave Wagner
06-11-2010, 7:56 PM
Some of you know we have been restoring our old Victorian...

Well, we ordered some wood scallop details for the house but it's 3/4" thick, so I thought I would try and rip it down in half with my band saw...set up the fences and it came out perfect! Kinda simple for some of you, but didn't want to mess it up.

Also, I am duplicating some of the details that are in bad shape on the house, here a few I did for around the windows.

Here's the finished bottom of the window, the Vine was on there from the beginning, I reproduced the sunbursts.... :) She did all the paint work...

Thanks for looking and for the support!

Jim Rimmer
06-12-2010, 9:04 PM
Nice work. I just got my 14" BS so these posts catch my eye. Godd luck on the restoration.

Von Bickley
06-12-2010, 9:12 PM
Dave,
I have never seen that type of detail work on a house. I was wondering what style of house you have and would like to see some more pictures of the house. :)

Dave Wagner
06-13-2010, 7:03 AM
It's an 1890 victorian, with slight gothic theme,

Here a few...enjoy...it's a labor of love! Like all old houses.

http://www.oldhousephotogallery.com/03mach1/a184/00000001

Rich Engelhardt
06-13-2010, 7:16 AM
Super - super - super sweet!!!!

I wish I had the gumption to "take on a Vic", but, it's so far beyond my skills/ability all I can do is admire.

Jeremy Milam
06-13-2010, 8:14 AM
I'm sure that the house is going to look great, it already is! please keep us posted.

George Sanders
06-13-2010, 8:51 AM
That is good work. I have never tried ripping on my bandsaw. I only use it to cut curves.
That porch just says welcome. The details are great. Most Vics have had all the gingerbread removed and vinyl siding installed. Great job.

Von Bickley
06-13-2010, 9:51 AM
Dave,

Thanks for posting the pictures. You guys have a beautiful home there.

A labor of love...... yes, yes, yes.......

Phil Thien
06-13-2010, 9:58 AM
Dave,

Thanks for posting the pictures. You guys have a beautiful home there.

A labor of love...... yes, yes, yes.......

+1 on that.

And your wife is an outstanding painter.

Dave Wagner
06-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks all! It's only been 3+ years since we got it, it needed a lot of TLC, but everyone in the neighborhood said it never looked so good! It actually had shrubs all the way up (about 6 feet high) covering the porch railings! That was the first thing to go.

YES, She is a good painter, I don't have a steady hand or patience, I will rebuild it, restore it, and prime it, but that is as much as I like to paint.
here was my thread about the porch railings for those that may have missed it
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121123&highlight=porch

I Just finished up tiling the upstairs bath, used the old subway tile (3x6) to keep the old look, but updated. I also re-purposed an old antique buffet for the sink.

:)