PDA

View Full Version : Friday afternoon quandry

Bruce Clumpner
06-11-2010, 7:26 PM
Being a slow Friday, figured I lurk a little in the archives for an answer to another one of my newbie questions. Unfortunately didn't find what I was looking for, so here goes. Any advice is welcome!

Have been working with Rowmark (lasermax), IPI and Bur-Lane plastics for name badges in custom shapes, and have noticed that after vector cutting most of these, the core material stays a little tacky. It feels weird ( not quite finished) and tends to pick up "char" and other dirt transferred from my fingers. I can deal with it by being careful and rubbing the surface to remove dust & etc.

My question: Is this normal? Am I running too hot/too many passes with my 35watt epilog? My latest formula for the lasermax is raster 85speed 50 power/Vector 100speed 100 power x 2 passes.

Comments?

Larry Bratton
06-11-2010, 8:36 PM
Too hot and too fast..should be more like 25s/60p/5000 frequency, 1 pass. That would probably be for 1/16" -adjust for thickness. I cut regular 1/8 acrylic at like 12s/100p/5000f (40watt Epilog) If you get any residue, I use a product called Goo Gone and it cleans it real easy. My guess is that that second pass at 100 power is what is giving you that weird result.

greg lindsey
06-11-2010, 9:31 PM
I agree with Larry,too fast too hot. I cut alot of Romark, and it does get that sticky feeling ,expecially with a white core, it seems to pick up the color of the top material. Using a 60 watt machine I use the 25sp 60pwr 2500 freq formula and seems to help. I aslo use goo b gone or dna to clean up the edges.

Mike Null
06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
It's normal. I use dna to clean.

Gary Hair
06-11-2010, 10:13 PM
It's normal. I use dna to clean.

same here, dna works wonders

Bruce Clumpner
06-12-2010, 3:39 PM
Thanks, for the tips.. I've found it I slow it down for vector work, it melts too much of the surface color, but lowering the power and speed doesn't cut well enough. I'll start with the DNA to see how it cleans. Thanks.

But a couple answers bring up another question on frequency settings. It's something I still haven't figured out. How does frequency affect vector cutting?

Gary Hair
06-12-2010, 3:58 PM
How does frequency affect vector cutting?

The higher the frequency the more pulses per inch that the laser fires. It never really fires continuously. A great way to see the affect first hand is to reduce the frequency as low as it can go and cut some paper. You'll see a bunch of dots instead of a cut line.

Gary

Larry Bratton
06-12-2010, 5:50 PM
Thanks, for the tips.. I've found it I slow it down for vector work, it melts too much of the surface color, but lowering the power and speed doesn't cut well enough. I'll start with the DNA to see how it cleans. Thanks.

But a couple answers bring up another question on frequency settings. It's something I still haven't figured out. How does frequency affect vector cutting?
High frequency when cutting acrylic gives a smoother polished edge look. I always cut acrylic at 5000, but when I cut wood I use 500 and what Gary said.

Niklas Bjornestal
06-13-2010, 3:45 AM
When cutting name badges i have started using 150 ppi, the edge is a little rough but the badges stays in the sheet wich makes it easier when removing from the engraver.

Viktor Voroncov
06-13-2010, 4:25 AM
Sorry for slight offtopic - you mentioned Rowmark, IPI and BurLain plastics. Rowmark and IPI is well known, no questions. But BurLain do not manufacturer - did they sell cheap Chinese plastic under own name or ...?

Larry Bratton
06-13-2010, 9:44 AM
Sorry for slight offtopic - you mentioned Rowmark, IPI and BurLain plastics. Rowmark and IPI is well known, no questions. But BurLain do not manufacturer - did they sell cheap Chinese plastic under own name or ...?
Viktor
Is it possible that your referring to Bur-lane? They are a distributor of Rowmark products and apparently their private lable. Don't know who makes it for them.
http://www.bur-lane.com/ I googled BurLain and nothing came up.

Viktor Voroncov
06-13-2010, 9:47 AM
Yes, Bur-Lane of course.
Topic starter wrote " Rowmark (lasermax), IPI and Bur-Lane plastics" so I understood this LIKE 3 DIFFERENT TYPES OF PLASTICS. Is it true?

Larry Bratton
06-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Yes, Bur-Lane of course.
Topic starter wrote " Rowmark (lasermax), IPI and Bur-Lane plastics" so I understood this LIKE 3 DIFFERENT TYPES OF PLASTICS. Is it true?
Viktor,
Like I said, Bur-lane has a private label engraving product. Who makes this is probably a closely held secret with them. We know it's not Rowmark, but I'm not sure Rowmark is the actual manufacturer of their product. I recall talking to a manufacturer (I forget the name at the moment) that made similar products and in conversation, he stated that they manufactured for Rowmark..at least some product anyway. Best I recall, he was in Florida, as is Bur-lane, so it may be the same mfg. I'll see if I can find that info. I do not have any experience with that product, so maybe some of the other members will comment on it.

Garrick David
06-13-2010, 11:26 AM
The things I learn. I just looked up Bur-lane and they have a location here in Florida (which means 1 day delivery).

This is great. Anyone know any other Florida suppliers?

I currently use these Florida suppliers:
Marco
JDS
Continental (CAT)
Airflyte
Sign Supply
Tubelite

Dan Hintz
06-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Be aware... Bur-Lane's online "credit application" form (that asks for your social security number) is not secure. If you decide to request access, print out the form and fax it to them.

Bruce Clumpner
06-14-2010, 12:17 PM
I came across the Bur-Lane product just after I purchased my laser, in a vinyl sign materials wholesaler. I wasn't impressed with the material as it seemed to cut even softer that the others, oh and pricing was a bit higher as well. I'm back to using Rowmark for now, but guess we'll see how the price increase affects production.