PDA

View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010 - Curt Fuller

Curt Fuller
06-11-2010, 7:22 PM
For the art side of this I turned a small vase. It's some really nice Box Elder burl with kind of a wild natural edged opening. I don't usually name things I turn but on this one the natural opening reminded me of a what it would look like if you caught the splash of a stone thrown into some mud. So I'm naming it "Splat". It's 5.5" diameter, 6.5" tall, finished with Minwax tung oil finish. I have a hard time with the definition of art, but for me this is mostly just a hollowform that is made into art by the beauty in the burl wood and the wild edge created by the natural burl spikes. I've included 4 pictures to show the shape of the hollowform and to show how different the flare in the opening looks from different angles.

Ted Evans
06-11-2010, 7:27 PM
Great job Curt, fantastic wood. What is the finish?

Curt Fuller
06-11-2010, 7:37 PM
On the utilitarian side of the challenge I was fortunate to have the opportunity to make something unique and different for my daughter's friend. He is a falconer that is an avid hunter with his birds but also volunteers his time to teach and demonstrate falconry at schools. He uses perches similar to the the one I've done but they're made for outdoor use and require a steel rod be driven into the ground to hold the perch. He asked if I could make one that could sit on a table or on the floor, be steady enough to hold the bird, and not need the stake driven into the ground to hold it. So this is my version of an indoor falcon perch. It's made from Alder, some 3/4" copper pipe and a piece of 1/2" threaded rod. The dark stripe is stained between two burned lines. It stands 20" tall and the base is 14" diameter. The unfinished area on top will have a piece of astro turf. He has promised me a picture of one of his birds perched on it. I'll post it when I get it.

Steve Schlumpf
06-11-2010, 8:00 PM
Curt - your vase is outstanding! I love the organic feel to the piece where everything is natural and just seems to flow! Outstanding form, wood and finish!

Very interesting utilitarian piece! First I have heard of a turned perch! Looking forward to seeing a photo or two with a bird perched on it!

Very nice work! Seriously love the vase!!!

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 8:23 PM
Curt, you really did a great job on the "Splat!!" Fantastic wood, and the "movement" of the piece really fits the name. It truly does look like a stop action shot of throwing a rock into soupy mud - particularly at an angle where the mud would go the opposite direction from whence came the rock. Great piece! Love the NE!!

I knew that falconers used a landing on a pole, but never paid much attention to them. Very neat object, and a nice combination of wood and metal with a very functional use. Well done!

charlie knighton
06-11-2010, 8:28 PM
very nice, the vase i perticlar like, the name fits very well, well done

James Combs
06-11-2010, 8:51 PM
Absolutely perfect name. Outstanding piece of art work.

David Warkentin
06-11-2010, 8:55 PM
Definitely agree on the name! David

Robert McGowen
06-11-2010, 8:58 PM
The hollow form is seriously nice and has a fitting name to go with it.

John Hart
06-11-2010, 9:05 PM
Funny thing...I thought "Splat" when I first looked at the pictures. That's too cool Mr Fuller. An event frozen in time. Stunning piece.

And I really like the uniqueness of the perch. Nice entries both. :)

Keith Burns
06-11-2010, 9:14 PM
Curt, what can I say but Stunning ! Love the wood and the form is spot on. The name fits as well.

Roland Martin
06-11-2010, 9:49 PM
Fantastic hollow form Curt. The wood is gorgeous, as is the form & NE. Very nicely done piece of art.
I've never seen a falcon perch, that's a fine looking utility piece.
Thanks for posting.

brian watts
06-11-2010, 9:58 PM
WOW . very very nice. were did you get the burl at?

David E Keller
06-11-2010, 9:59 PM
That's a beautiful hollowform, and the angled natural opening is fantastic.

The perch is great. Easily the best falconry perch I've ever seen!:D

Bill Wilcox
06-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Curt, I really like this piece. The natural spikes at the top are cool.
I would really like to see people who post their work have a before and after picture. this way everyone could see where the wood began it's journey.
Thanks for posting this,
Bill Wilcox

Curt Fuller
06-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone! I really enjoyed this challenge.

Curt, I really like this piece. The natural spikes at the top are cool.
I would really like to see people who post their work have a before and after picture. this way everyone could see where the wood began it's journey.
Thanks for posting this,
Bill Wilcox

Bill, here's a link to a post from a while back with some pictures of the wood that this piece came from.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109624&highlight=elder+burl

WOW . very very nice. were did you get the burl at?

Brian, there aren't a lot of good hardwoods growing here in Utah, but there is a lot of Box Elder. So much that the county adjacent to where I live is Box Elder County. And although it isn't common, the Box Elder burl is beautiful when you find it.

Sean Hughto
06-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Great one! Love the splat - love it!

Mark Burge
06-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Wow, I really like "Splat". The movement of the piece is really engaging. I think you may be onto something about the definition of art. It certainly unlocks the beauty of the wood. I think unusual utility is a great way to challenge ourselves as turners. We make shapes that are not usually seen in woodworking, so why shouldn't out utility pieces be unusual. Nice work.

Scott Hackler
06-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Curt that HF / vase is fantastic. Very very nice.:D

John Keeton
06-12-2010, 7:09 AM
Bill, here's a link to a post from a while back with some pictures of the wood that this piece came from.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109624&highlight=elder+burl.
Curt, that was back before I was spinning in the vortex - fantastic haul!! So, you have let that stuff dry for about 15-16 months, was it dry enough to turn without warp?

Curt Fuller
06-12-2010, 9:39 AM
Curt, that was back before I was spinning in the vortex - fantastic haul!! So, you have let that stuff dry for about 15-16 months, was it dry enough to turn without warp?
John this all came from a dead tree, most of the bark was already popping off. But my experience with burl wood is that there's not much movement even if turned fairly green. It does shrink a little but the grain is so intertangled that it seems to pull in all directions at once and nullifies any real bad results from shrinkage.

Chris Stolicky
06-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I can only imagine what it was like hollowing that thing far off of the tool rest with the edge whipping around. Good job.

Matt Hutchinson
06-12-2010, 6:53 PM
Curt, I think those are both really sweet turnings. Love the natural burl mouth!

It kinda cracks me up.....falconers perch.......who'd a thunk it. How cool is that!

Thanks for sharing!

Hutch

Curt Fuller
06-29-2010, 8:45 PM
I finally got a picture of the falcon stand with a falcon perched on it...

Matt Hutchinson
06-29-2010, 9:12 PM
That is too cool!! :D

Baxter Smith
06-29-2010, 9:21 PM
Wonderful vase and the falconperch is neat in action!

John Keeton
06-29-2010, 9:23 PM
Whoa!!! Now that is an impressive sight!!

Michael James
06-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Curt,
Very nice job on both. I like your photo background, but I believe my den mantle would do "splat" more justice. Just a thought. To sweeten the deal, I'll throw in reasonable visitation! :cool:
mj