PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Vase

Michael E. Thompson
06-11-2010, 6:59 PM
I have been meaning to post this for awhile now and finally took some pictures. Wood is cherry, approx 9" tall and 3.5" diam. I couldn't hollow as deep as I wanted due to a limitation in my tool. As a result the bottom is about 2" thick and the side walls are 3/16". Nice and stable with added weight though. Finished with BLO then shellac and buffed. Please C&C.

BTW - I have seen in other posts that when buffing to use Ren wax instead of carnauba, why is that?

Mike

charlie knighton
06-11-2010, 7:01 PM
very nice.....

Allen Neighbors
06-11-2010, 7:55 PM
Beautiful form, Mike... I think the main reason people use Ren instead of Carnauba is that the Carnauba will spot if it ever get's water on it... Ren won't.
I've had some get a little shower on them at an outdoor craftshow, and the Carnauba did water spot, to the point that I had to put them away, and rebuff them when I got home.
I've never had so much Carnauba on a piece that it left fingerprints, but I think someone said their's would fingerprint, too... I think that's just from too much wax applied.

Steve Schlumpf
06-11-2010, 8:04 PM
Michael - very nice Cherry vase! Nice work on the composed photo as well!

I switched from Carnuba to Ren because of what Allen stated - the Carnuba would show water spots and if it were a warm and humid day would also show fingerprints if your hands were sweaty. Ren wax is easier to apply and doesn't show fingerprints or water spots.

John Hart
06-11-2010, 8:32 PM
Wow....for a minute I thought you stole one of my vases!!! :eek:

I love it! :)

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 8:38 PM
Mike, nice work on the form, and the color is beautiful. That BLO and shellac really work on the cherry!

bob svoboda
06-11-2010, 8:44 PM
Very nice piece Michael. I love cherry and your form is great.

David E Keller
06-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Nicely done. The extra thickness in the bottom will certainly help with stability. Lovely form and color.

Michael E. Thompson
06-12-2010, 9:03 PM
Thanks for all the comments. It really helps to get feedback, good or bad.

Also, thanks for the info about Ren wax. I will have to give it a try. My local club is ordering a bulk order from CS for a decent discount. Perfect timing.

Thanks again.
Mike

Frank Van Atta
06-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Elegantly simple - and simply elegant. I like it.