PDA

View Full Version : Noob wants to know what to build???

Kevin Gregoire
06-11-2010, 6:22 PM
hey everyone,
im new to woodworking and the only things i have built so far are a bunch of jigs, a cribbage board, bread board, a mallet, and several bird houses.

can you all give me some ideas of some small stuff to build? i have a pretty complete shop cept for a router table yet and i have a bunch of wood i got (3/4 x 6 x 24 and 3/4 x 7 x 24 of pine)

any ideas of some fairly simple things &/or plans would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Andrew Gibson
06-11-2010, 6:53 PM
Not sure I can help you as far as Plans, I usually design my own. Graph paper and a pencil get the job done for the most part.

As far as projects, you can start by looking around your shop and see what you might need, small boxes, shelves, tool racks. If you dont need anything for the shop. look around the house. bread box, spice rack, toilet paper holder, magazine rack remote control caddy, small to medium sized tables... there are tons of things around the house that you can build and hone your skills and still get good use out of, even if they dont turn out perfect.

John Hart
06-11-2010, 8:29 PM
Go get yourself a world class dartboard and design a cabinet with doors for it, Design in a scoreboard on one of the doors and nifty little drawers and compartments for all the stuff that goes with darts.

Then stain some of your pine...and leave some unstained. Then draw up a cool pattern for your doors then cut and piece the different stained boards together to make your patterned doors.

Doesn't matter if you play darts or not. They look really good where ever you mount them.

Lee Koepke
06-11-2010, 8:33 PM
some good ideas there!

I am STILL building jigs .. you kinda never stop!

I have been spending most of my time building those small projects, actually had a request for 3 more cutting boards and an ashtray, so thats what I tinker with.

scott spencer
06-11-2010, 9:40 PM
I'd build a router table...it's a great project and an even better tool.

A workbench is another great project and great tool.

Picture frames are a fairly simple and easy project. Clocks can be pretty simple too.

Victor Robinson
06-11-2010, 10:43 PM
+1 on working on the router table. But if you want to build things not for the shop, box-making can be fun and as challenging as you'd like. I've found it a great way to practice skills, and making a good box really demands accuracy so you have to be on top of your game (and your tools have to be set up well also!). You can make it more challenging by adding legs, splines, inlays, etc.

David Cefai
06-12-2010, 12:56 AM
+1 for the bench and the router table but the real rewards will come from building something for the house.

Not necessarily a perfect piece of furniture for the lounge or dining room but don't you (or her ladyship) need an extra little bookcase somewhere? How about a shoe cabinet?

One of the advantages (psychological) is that you've spent the money on the tools. Now every project you build is not only developing your skill set but is a return on your investment.

Incidentally remember that when you look at a finished project you see the mistakes - even if they are not visible. Most others see the project as a total and do not see, or possibly even care, about the mistakes.

Tom Rick
06-12-2010, 6:21 AM
http://jasbecker.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/123/files/modern-shaker-step-stool/shaker-step-stool-by-becker.jpg

Ray McCullie
06-12-2010, 6:42 AM
First thing you should build (if you haven't already) is a good work bench.

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/03/10/toolcribcoms-ultimate-guide-to-free-woodworking-workbench-plans/

I like the $175 dollar one myself.

Then try a computer desk or some bookcases/shelves, never go wrong with those.

Joe Scharle
06-12-2010, 9:11 AM
I think end tables are good intro projrcts, especially with pine. Not too costly to redo if necessary. You get experience with tapered legs, glued up tops, apron joinery and drawer construction. Take one you already have and build a copy. Here's one of a pair I built for a daughter's dorm.
1 - 2 X 4 X 8 (legs)
1 - 1 X 12 X 8 (all else)

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/989/Pine_Table_21.JPG

Britt Lifsey
06-12-2010, 9:31 AM
Magazine rack (type that sits on floor or wall mounted), hat/coat rack, recipe box or other type small kitchen piece, etc. Woodsmith is a great magazine for ideas and plans. The New Yankee Workshop books are also good. You might be able to find older books with plans cheap at library used book sales and/or yard sales.

Are you married or in a serious relationship? Ask significant other what they need. Pleasing them with projects helps with future tool purchases. Just don't let them get you into a project that is over your head. Once you've built them a project or two, start looking for ideas that will require a new tool :)

Kevin Gregoire
06-12-2010, 3:30 PM
you all missed where i said i am wanting to make some small items.
maybe some jewelry boxes or small stuff like that?

im sure one day i will get good enough for some of the bigger things you all suggested.
thanks

Steve Bracken
06-12-2010, 3:32 PM

im sure one day i will get good enough for some of the bigger things you all suggested.
thanks

Actually .... It is rather easier to build a full size bookcase than a small jewelry box :)

The small boxes demand absolute precision if they are not to look messy.

Edit: Oh and bedframes ... Beds are real easy :)

Mikail Khan
06-12-2010, 3:36 PM
Easy to build with simple joinery.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/gifts-accessories/boxes/jewelry-chest/

Other simple plans available at plansnow.com

MK

Kevin Gregoire
06-12-2010, 4:46 PM
maybe, its just that i have a bunch of those small boards to use up

thanks mikail for that plan, looks like a sweet little project but i don't want to pay for plans unless i get desperate

thanks

Tom Rick
06-12-2010, 7:05 PM

thanks

In my misspent youth I built quite a few small boxes with little compartments and the like.
Inlay with found items- shells, sawn walnuts, bits of metal. Hours spent crafting sliding dovetails with carving tools. I don't do much of that work anymore but I think a good place to start with wood working is by way of simple carving tools and a bit of wood. Half sculpture really. As your tool set grows there is a temptation to define the project by the machine capability instead of allowing a creative image to drive the design.

Britt Lifsey
06-12-2010, 8:32 PM

thanks
I dodn't think a magazine rack or recipe box are that big... :confused:

Victor Robinson
06-12-2010, 8:44 PM
Kevin - check out Fine Woodworking's video workshop of the month (I think it's free even for non-subscribers during this month). Matt Kenney takes you through building a medium-sized box. A lot of excellent techniques and a simple plan you can download and tweak to your tastes.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/box-making-video/

Neil Brooks
06-12-2010, 8:53 PM
May be worth taking a few minutes and poking around the SMC projects forum.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Sometimes, the best ideas come from seeing what others have built.

By the way ... yours is what's known as a "Good problem to have" ;)