PDA

View Full Version : Desert SW Form 2 out of Spalted Holly

Mike Minto
06-11-2010, 5:49 PM
Here's another of my attempts to emulate a form of the Hopi/Tewa potters of the desert southwest, again with a piece of spalted Virginia holly. Finished with spray on Deft lacquer, 3 wheel buffed with Ren wax. About 7" x 3".

Robert McGowen
06-11-2010, 5:59 PM
I really like that, Mike. Very nice form.

Tony De Masi
06-11-2010, 6:08 PM
I like that alot too. Super nice form and the wood just speaks for itself.

Very well done Mike.

Tony

Lance kanaby
06-11-2010, 6:21 PM
Fantastic! And great form and really great wood too.

Donny Lawson
06-11-2010, 6:30 PM
Very nice. I love the spalted holly.
Donny

Greg Bender
06-11-2010, 6:52 PM
Mike,
love the shape and the glossy finish.Beautiful piece.Curious,I do pieces with the same basic shape and have been looking for a hollowing rig.What do/did you use to do this piece.Thanx,
Greg

charlie knighton
06-11-2010, 7:03 PM
very nice....

Michael E. Thompson
06-11-2010, 7:07 PM
Great wood.... Love the spalting. Nice job on the finish.

Ted Evans
06-11-2010, 7:24 PM
Gorgeous wood and I really like the form Mike, very clean looking.

Allen Neighbors
06-11-2010, 7:50 PM
Very pretty!! I like the Southwestern style of this one...

Steve Schlumpf
06-11-2010, 8:08 PM
Mike - great form! I love anything Southwest style and you've done a great job on this form! Beautiful wood and finish! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 8:30 PM
Mike, I have not studied the southwest forms much, particularly the Hopi/Tewa styles. But, strictly from a "gut" feeling, I believe you nailed the form. Very well done, and I like the soft rim of the piece - more of a pottery look.

The spalted holly, as you know, is one of my favorites! It can be tricky on getting a good finish, but very nice wood to turn.

Mike Minto
06-11-2010, 9:04 PM
Mike, I have not studied the southwest forms much, particularly the Hopi/Tewa styles. But, strictly from a "gut" feeling, I believe you nailed the form. Very well done, and I like the soft rim of the piece - more of a pottery look.

The spalted holly, as you know, is one of my favorites! It can be tricky on getting a good finish, but very nice wood to turn.

John, you're right about that; spalted holly is either just right, or too far gone for turning, not much in-between in my limited experience. :)

John Hart
06-11-2010, 9:12 PM
Wow. The wood is dazzling...the form, even more. Wonderful. :)

David Warkentin
06-11-2010, 9:45 PM
Beautiful. I am still getting used to the idea of the size of these things. I have seen very few turned objects like this (other than pics) and always expected them to be much larger. It would be nice if creekers would post pictures with some every day object beside them that would show the size. I always think I would need a big chunk of wood to turn something like this. Guess not. Sorry for messing up your critique :rolleyes:. David

Mike Minto
06-11-2010, 9:56 PM
Beautiful. I am still getting used to the idea of the size of these things. I have seen very few turned objects like this (other than pics) and always expected them to be much larger. It would be nice if creekers would post pictures with some every day object beside them that would show the size. I always think I would need a big chunk of wood to turn something like this. Guess not. Sorry for messing up your critique :rolleyes:. David

David, I agree - I used to think most pieces were larger than they looked, but once the maker gave dimensions, what a suprise. I just think it's the availability of wood, more than anything - most trees that come down really aren't larger than what will produce 8" - 10" bowls.

David E Keller
06-11-2010, 10:04 PM
That's beautiful, Mike. I think this is my favorite of your turnings I've seen posted. The wood, form, and finish are spot on. I love the coloring of the piece. Exceptional!

Curt Fuller
06-11-2010, 10:46 PM
That's a beauty Mike.